'06 NFL Draft Interview: Matt Leinart

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by goTitans.com, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Give me an example of an unbiased report. Show me ANY article you've read on any draft pick which was not full of opinion.

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Jeff I dont think anyone is saying that. But when he refers to Cutler as the "flavor of the week" and this sort of thing its obvious he is biased towards Leinart, and thats fine. But this is posted in the forum so we can comment and give our opinions of the article too right?

3. TitanJeff

Sure. It's about discussion here. No doubt.

But let's be sure we recognize much of the pro-Cutler stuff is also biased. All articles which predict how well a player will do in the NFL is based on opinion. I think it somehow becomes "homerism" if that opinion doesn't jive with our own.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Jeff, when I say homerism I dont necessarily mean favoritism per se. The guy has obviously seen Leinart more than Cutler, and obviously likes Leinart. Because of that, I can understand how someone would lean towards the local guy they have dealt with and seen play more, thats fine and understandable. What I take issue with though, is this guy showing no knowledge of Cutler, yet still declaring Leinart the obvious better choice, thats where he is showing a clear and unfair bias towards Leinart IMO.

Come on Jeff, one of his issues with Cutler is his size. One, he either doesnt know enough about Cutler to even realize he has prototypical NFL QB size, or two he is just looking for reasons to cut him down, which is where I would say its homerism.

And I do agree that everyone has their case of bias or homerism, no doubt. But I also think its a better discussion if that stuff is pointed out and we can get through the bias. THe guy's assessment of Leinart is a good assessment I think, so dont think Im just trying to rip the guy to pieces, Im not, I just dont agree with his Cutler assessment at all.

5. Brian

Brian Big Fan

It has nothing to do with talent. Fisher is a USC homer. That's why it'll be Leinart.

:ha:

6. TitanJeff

How many articles have we read which say Young can't read defenses so the Longhorns simplified their offense or he can't take a snap from under center?

How about that Leinart doesn't have an arm and was only successful because of the talent around him?

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Now, it's not secret I favour Cutler as the #1 QB, but I'm still convinced I will find the article on him biased as well.

And I agree you can't find a bias-free report on this kind of stuff, it's impossible. However having the local press talk about their own player is bound to be more biased than say the local press of an opposing team.

Again, I'm not knocking your initiative or the articles themselves. I personally just find them more fun to read than actually enlightening.

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Those are honest questions that should be dealt with in my opinion. Taking issue with Cutlers size when he is the exact same size as Leinart is not an honest concern IMO, in fact I think its riduculous. All these guys have some question marks, and I think the guy alluded to one with Leinart about throwing the deep ball. Im sorry that I dont agree with his assessment that Cutler is perhaps to small, or that Cutler didnt win enough games, or that Cutler is just the flavor of the week. I think Cutler and Leinart are pretty even IMO, and I dont think this guy pointed out one legitimate concern with Cutler, yet still acted like Leinart was head and shoulders above him. Just my opinion.

9. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Reese is sill waiting for Andre Woolfolk to justify his roster spot. You think he'll draft another DE after taking LaBoy and Odom only two years ago?

:deadhorse

10. TitanJeff

Possibly. But I also think it gives a different perspective than what you get from the mainstream. The best thing to do is take it all with a grain-of-salt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar