'07 NFL Draft: Grade Day One

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Awkward

Dr.Awkward Camp Fodder

bloody brilliant.

2. B-....Griffin(A).....Henry(B).....Williams(C-)../...

3. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I didn't say that Huff made the pick. I know Griffin made the pick, but that doesn't excuse allowing 38 points. And let's face it, if you watched (who didn't) the game you realize that USC could have easily scored 50.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

if they could have easily scored 50, why didnt they?

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

The few defensive plays that Texas made were at just the right time. ie Michael Grif's pick in the end zone and stuffing LenDale (or was it Reggie?) on 4th and short

6. Dr.Awkward

Dr.Awkward Camp Fodder

umm we must have watched different games b/c the texas secondary completely shut down USC's passing game in the first half.

I will agree that USC came alive in the second half and torched the secondary, but don't try and come in here like USC's wideouts dominated all game.

Besides who cares about that one game. Griffin has an outstanding college resume. Plus, Texas is probably one of the best developers of DB's in college football. In the past 5 years, nearly all there graduating DB's have been drafted:

Nathan Vashar - Starter Chicago
    Michael Huff - Starter Oakland
    Cedric Griffith - Starter Minnesota
    Tarrel Brown - Drafted to SF this year
    Aaron Ross - Drafted by NYC this year
    Michael Griffin - Drafted by Titans this year

I think Griffin was a good pick up all things being equal. Also, I don't buy the argument that we could have gotten him in the second round; that's a ridiculous assumption. It's well known that Griffin was on the top of the New England's draft board.

Actually, same can be said about Chris Henry. Henry met with the patriots on three separate occasions. The titans were worried that the Patriots would pick Henry up with one of their plethora of picks.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I'm just tired of all the negativity.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

did the pats even have any picks in rounds two and three?

8. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

According to everything I heard, Merriweather was at the top of NE's radar. I still don't think we could have gotten him in the 2nd, though.

Still, Texas allowed 574 yards of total offense. If only 200 of those yards (very, very conservative) were in the first half, that is still pretty lackluster. Another drive killer was Reggie Bush's retarded lateral... a play that the Texas defense didn't even control. I'm sure there are others, but I shouldn't have to rewatch the game and list bad plays to show that you would have been crazy at the time to suggest that Texas' secondary was full of 3 top-20 draft choices that were within one year of being drafted (and the other guy was a mid-round selection if memory serves).

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

It was just food for thought. Obviously, you can't determine talent level definitively looking at only one game.

10. Dr.Awkward

Dr.Awkward Camp Fodder

There is no denying that the rose bowl from two years ago was very offensively oriented. However, you also cannot deny that two of those DB's are already starters in the NFL who had pretty good rookie seasons.

Michael Huff - Started all 16 games, recorded 78 tackles, and played at least a part in giving Oakland one of the best secondaries in the league. That's not bad for a rook.

Cedric Griffin - Only played 12 games, but worked his way up to the starting position by year's end. He recorded 43 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, and 2 interceptions. That's not bad either for a rook.

Also consider that USC and Texas were the #1 and #2 ranked offenses in College football that season. It was never really anticipated to be a low scoring game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar