114.1 passer rating

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bigg, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdfan

mdfan Starter

if you take all the games Vince started the Titans average is 20.6 points
    http://www.nfl.com/players/vinceyoung/gamelogs?id=YOU617196&season=2007 (link included for anyone that wants to check my math :yes:)

2. Lord_Drist

Lord_Drist Camp Fodder

The way you state your case it seems that you have everything figure out. Now you are backpedaling. There are different kind of investment and should not be treated the same way. In the NFL the hardest position to learn is the QB so it has to be fair to give VY or other young QB time to learn. But for some reason you and other will not give him the same space other QB's has been given with VY and already has declare him a failure.

With tendency to quit you are buying the same story that has been passed out as truth by many except his teammates, just by watching how they rallied around him and how happy they were for him after the win should a least give something to think about.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

To be fair we should give VY the same space other QBs have been given.
    List all of the better QBs in the league as well as the better "young" QBs and you will find virtually all of them were playing as the starter in their 1st year and with a few exception in their 2nd year and by year 4 were showing they were worthy of their draft status.

Rivers sat out two years behind Brees but in his third year as a starter had a 92 QB rating. Brady was a starter in his second year and playing well.
    We all know about Big Ben who started right from day one. Brees had a 104 rating in his 4th year and started in year 2. McNabb might be a good example for Young to follow in some ways. He had a 77.7 QB rating in his 2nd year, his first as a starter (while rushing for over 600 yards). McNabb maintained a 80+ QB rating throughout his career.

The bottom line IMO is Young better produce now. This isn't about seeing if he has taken a baby step. If he isn't ready to take over the job for good after this year (I'm talking about a significant improvement over 10 games from his 70 ratings). There is no argument to be made on if he should get this chance. It is his. Now it is on him to be ready produce. There simply aren't many QBs who suck for 4 years and all of a sudden become franchise quality in years 5 and 6. If Young falls into that category of the very few (I can't think of any modern day) it won't be as a Titan IMO.

With that said I hope he gets it done. I hope he plays with an 80 rating, throw key TD passes like he did this last game and shows some play making like he did in 2006. With his legs a simple 80 rating makes himn a viable QB.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

Not saying I have it all figured out and I'm definitely not backpedaling. I will go on the record and say that it is my opinion VY is a failure and will never have what it takes to compete consistently at the NFL level!

I'm in the investment business and I'm very good at it (I own a nationwide commodities investment firm) and I can tell you from experience that ALL investments are the same when it comes to being able to identify your losers quickly before a small cut turns into a large hemorrhage. That is actually one of the biggest mistake made by most investors, most get emotionally attached to an investment or don't want to admit they were wrong so they end up with a portfolio destroying loser that they could have sold at a small loss and instead end up losing their a#$. I'll admit that I've had times when I've sold an investment and then watched it take off and run but more times than not I've saved my rear end by cutting my losses early so I could live to fight another day.

Again, you talk like he's a first or second year QB, it's his 4th year and you're still talking about giving him time to develop. I say times up! I agree with giving him this shot, we got nothing to lose this year, but over the next 9 games he better look like a #3 pick that's worth $14 million against the cap or I say get rid of him and stop the bleeding.

5. Titansman1

I agree!! :yes: It's time sh$& or get off the pot!

6. Lord_Drist

Lord_Drist Camp Fodder

That is fair enough.

7. Lord_Drist

Lord_Drist Camp Fodder

First, investments do not learn by themselves because if you haven't notice money is not alive. In the case of a QB you have to take into account the human factor and the ability to learn. If your are not willing to give VY a chance to prove this year how much he has developed that is your prerogative, but your knowledge in the financial word does not make you and expert in football. Trying to make a connection between investment and players is just absurd. Still after all this talk about him being a failure he still has a winning record as a starter. And a winning record does not equal to failure. Yes, he has to improve but I feel if he really took advantage of sitting out last season he can be a good QB for the Titans and what better way to find out than to see him play this last 9 games.

8. Titansman1

First off I'm not the one who started the investment analogies, if I remember right someone said something like "we've invested a lot already" so we can't give up on that investment. Second you're right money isn't alive and therefore not human but investing IS all about "human emotions" and "human psychology", ever watch the markets? "Irrational exuberance" due to the "human factor" is where profits are made or lost. I think my business is just like playing in a sport in a lot of ways. Recruiting, training and developing a sales force (my players) like I do on a daily basis has a lot of of similarities without the physical athletic aspects of course. It cost me a lot of time and money to recruit and train one of my reps, maybe one out 4 or 5 makes it, the ones that do can make a lot of money but there comes a point where I have to realize when I have a flop and cut my losses otherwise it hurts the overall production of my sales team too. If I keep a flop just because I already have a lot invested in him then my losses end up much greater in the end and sooner or later my production would tank and I have a team full flops because I won't let go of them.

Oh, and third I think one of the reason I'm so good at my business now is because of the fact that I have and still am very active in sports, while not on a professional level I've played football, track, boxing/kickboxing and at age 43 I'm still in excellent shape, workout regularly and I'm still into boxing/kickboxing 3-4 days a week. You're right, playing a little football when I was a kid and coaching my sons recreational football team certainly doesn't make me an expert at pro level football. Granted, unless you're a pro we're all just arm chair QB's and coaches so I don't claim to have it all figured out but I do have experience at trying to spot talent, recruiting, training, and cultivating so I've built my career around the "human factor" and all I can say is that when VY quit on his team he lost me forever. Plus again, he's had 4 years, sooner or later you have to cut your losses and move on or, just like in my business the whole team suffers. I hope I'm wrong about him and he kicks butt the next 9 games and well into the future and I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong (it wouldn't be the first time), I'd much rather use the pick for another needed position but I have a feeling I'll be saying "I told you so"!

9. Loqitar10

Loqitar10 Camp Fodder

The flaw in your analysis is that you are judging his fourth year's progress not on what you have seen him do this year but on what he did two seasons ago. At that time he very much was a developmental player. Anyone buying the investment known as VY knew, if they did good research back in 2006, you'd have to go long with him to get your return. Me thinks you have an arbitrager's mentallity when it comes to VY and you need to think more like WB if you want to have football success. As for the best recent example of a QB that had a slow start but matured ito a quality QB in year 4 you have only to look at Eli Manning. He was very inconsistant in his first three seasons, despite having a lifetime of training at the knee of his father, and was a favorite pin cushion in NY with many calling him a bust in the first half of the season in which he eventually won the Super Bowl. For every example of a guy who blossoms early there is another guy who took time to season. Each scenario can result in a top tier career at the end of the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar