18 game season. Who's for it? Who's against it?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RavensShallBurn, Aug 3, 2009.

?
  1. I'm against it.

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. I'm all for it.

31 vote(s)
    64.6%
  3. I'm indifferent.

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Injuries are my biggest holdup - although maybe an 18 game season would work if they added another bye week. Field conditions could be also an issue - and as the fields get more torn up late in the season injuries are more likely.

Sorry TBC - but football is much tougher on a body than any other sport. Hits aren't the issue - players almost never get injured long-term from a "hit"... it's usually ligament or muscle damage from making a cut or from getting caught under a pile. In hockey you get hit and that's it - in football the impact is just the start, and is often followed by 3 people weighing as much as a light truck dragging you down and landing on top of you. No comparison.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

so if we backed it up to play only 14 games, would that mean a healthier league ? like another poster stated, injuries happen. they don't necessarily always happen due to gameplay. there's just as much potential to due light damage (like strains) in practice, etc......

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Goodell is for it which makes me almost immediately want to be against it. :)

If it were to happen, he did say they would cut back on two preseason games. It wouldn't affect the season at all. One of the huge pros for switching the season to 18 games would be that the ticket costs for a regular season game are exactly the same as a regular season game... at least face value is. If you're stubhubbing, you would obviously pay less for a preseason game, but for PSL owners, preseason vs. regular season costs are exactly the same.

TBC, you may think hockey is tougher and that the players hit harder. Maybe that's the case. But I had the same argument with someone about rugby players being bigger, stronger, faster, and harder hitters than NFL players. I don't buy into it. Put a hockey player up to an NFL player. They'll look pathetic. You can't even begin to think that a hockey player could effectively hit an NFL player. They'd bounce right off of 'em and probably injure themselves. And, if a top NFL defensive player put a lickin' on the toughest, roughest, hardest hitting hockey player, it might get ugly.

4. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Fight the power! Haha ...joking aside I actually have been impressed with the decisions Goodell has made this far. Not all but he seems to be doing a good job IMO.

Apples to oranges. Put that defensive end in skates up against any NHL player and it would get ugly.......for the linemen.

I am definitely down for two more games in the regular season. GoTitans3801 nailed it for me.

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I wasn't talking about in skates or on the football field. I was talking about head to head. No pads, no skates, nothing.

Rape.

6. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Well of course. But the initial post was speaking on the tolls each individual sports take on the players. Adding two games to the NFL players and screaming brutality because of injury chance seems weak when these hockey players play almost ten times the amount and sustain similar injuries.

Again NFL players are bigger specimens but on both sides of the situation.

7. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Look i think it's a luxury, not a necessity. 2 more games would be cool, more football right. But look at it like i do. The meaningless games are what get you fired up for the meaningful ones. You make the schedule 2 games longer, then week 1 will be here that much faster. Which means less of a wait, which means less energy because of that wait. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but basically 18 games or not, i don't care because as long as when February rolls around, the Titans are still playing, it's all good.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

More details on my theoretical proposal...

I would take the two extra regular games out of the preseason. I would also add an extra bye week. The regular season as it is lasts for 17 weeks, that would bump it to twenty. Bye week 1 would run weeks 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9, and Bye week 2 would run weeks 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16. The only tweak it requires is that no team has a bye on both week 9 and week 11. That's how the overall structure would work. It would start two weekends before labor day, leaving the playoffs the same time as they are now.

As for scheduling, 18 games opens things up. 16 of the games are the same that they are now, but the extra two come from two things. One is a rotation of all opposing conference teams (we only play opposing conference teams every four years, that isn't really enough), and a new category, specifically paired one on one rivalry teams. These teams play each other every year (mostly opposing conference teams), and the rotating game against a team from another conference is played at a neutral or international location. For rivalry opponents, I'm thinking regionally close teams in most cases that don't play against each other enough now. Think Dallas/Houston, Jets/Giants, Dolphins/Bucs, Raiders/49ers, etc... There are some pretty good matchups out there, and when teams play each other more often, it can actually create a good rivalry. The rotating location/neutral/international games is strictly a way for the league to get to expand/promote itself, while being fair to the teams. That way, all NFL owners get an extra home game every other year with this schedule.

I'm telling you, it could work. It won't happen, but it would be great if it did.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Pleeeeease. 8 months to 7 1/2 months will not make or break my anticipation level. After the bye weak i'm jonesing for football.:irked:

10. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Sorry MJ, but I remain unconvinced, especially given that it's only two games.
    And no, players don't get long term damage from A hit. They get long term damage from MANY hits spanning a few seasons. Or are you the type that thinks you can take hit after hit after hit and not suffer long term damage. If that's the case, then I suggest you go try out for the NFL.
    Hockey players have less pads, hit as hard, and at faster speeds (unless you don't know, you can ice skate MUCH faster than you can run), which means that instead of a light truck dragging you down and landing on top of you, it's just going to hit you head on (and some of the NHL players are as big or bigger than linebackers). They also have sticks to swing and a puck that's zipping around at highway speeds.
    Do NOT fukin tell me that NFL players can't deal with two more games on top of a 16 game, 4 month season when NHL players deal with brutality for 80 some games and a NINE MONTH SEASON.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar