18 game season. Who's for it? Who's against it?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RavensShallBurn, Aug 3, 2009.

?
  1. I'm against it.

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. I'm all for it.

31 vote(s)
    64.6%
  3. I'm indifferent.

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedimasterbyrd

Jedimasterbyrd Time Traveler/Jewel Thief

I'm 100% against it. No one has even mentioned how it would affect every single season record. Over time it would do the same to career records. I know the league used to be 14 games and everything was rewritten when we went to 16 games but c'mon.

Look, I'm all for someone else holding every record Lord Brett has but I don't want it to be handed to someone that gets 2 extra games a year. Every record would have an asterisk beside it. Then we would waste time debating crap like "well Jerry Rice did it in 16 games not 18". For a guy like me who cares alot about records and such the 18 game season is horrible. I could care less about the injury factor.

2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I'm surprised the majority is favoring it. At first glance, more football sounds better. But, I cannot begin to describe how perfect the season is at the moment.

Once again... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sometimes people try to fix something that works perfectly fine and may end up making things worse.

3. moose4now

moose4now Starter

That's exactly what they did (and are still doing) in the CFL.

They used to play 16 regular season games. But, for much the same reason as they would be doing it in the NFL for, they expanded to 18 games (probably ten? years go). And, of course, it was done for money. They dropped two pre-season games for two more Regular Season games so they could sell more tickets, games on TV, etc.

And, that's how and why the NFL would do it, too.

And, because of that, I'm all for it.

4. RavensShallBurn

Like I said, that's the plan if they do go through with the 18 game season. They will cut back on 2 preseason games, effectively keeping the season at the exact same length... with the exact same amount of total games.

5. GTFO my pancakz

GTFO my pancakz S.D.M.F.

I voted no but if they exchange 2 pre-season games with season games I'm all for it.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I've heard the two extra games are intended to be played at a neutral site to increase interest in other geographic areas. I am not interested in my team risking injury simply to garner more fans of the NFL. I agree with TJ, that many teams would be more likely to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by games 16-18.

7. BACK2SMASHMOUTH

BACK2SMASHMOUTH TD's Please...

I'm against it. You can't have your cake and eat it too. The NFL doesn't exactly honor former players who put their body on the line every week with healthy pensions or compensation, but now they want more from the players.

That's like your company saying, we're expanding, but we're going to do it with the same workforce... i.e. more work for you.

Also, bodies can only take so much. And no sport compares physically to the toll football takes. Save your arguments because you won't change my mind.

Say a running back can endure 9 seasons of full contact football at 16 games per season. Add 2 games a year over 9 years and you decrease his career by a year.

If the game was in bad shape I'd say maybe, but football dominates this country right now. Keep your hands off it and let it be awesome like it already is.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

6 division games, 6 conference games ( 4 from 1 division and 2 from conference divisions finishing in same slot) - so far same as 16 game schedule.

Other conference keep the rotating division and just pick up 2 other conference divisions that finished in same slot and always make these the first two games of the season

As for meaningless games could go to NBA style lottery for however many draft picks in round 1. Every win after thanksgiving gives EVERY TEAM another ping pong ball or whatever gets tossed into the pot. Need to go to a lottery system anyways to avoid the self interest in losing for the cows of the NFL

9. RavensShallBurn

How many times do I have to say this... THAT IS WHAT GOODELL IS GOING TO DO IF THEY DO INDEED MAKE IT AN 18 GAME SEASON.

So, you're for it. :)

10. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Basically i don't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar