#2 vs. #1

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TitanJeff, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Memphis isnt going to be a final 4 team if they cant improve on their free throw shooting. That was a really entertaining game, but neither team looked like they played very well.

2. Bring 'em on...
    [​IMG]

3. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Oh....It will be broughten'

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Great game. With any other coach, this would have probably been an easy win for Memphis, but then again, with any other coach, the talent wouldn't be there.
    This "run with your nose down and jack up a forced shot on the break" style is the only thing that kept Memphis from winning, but I knew it'd eventually catch up to them. Coach Cal just lets them play pick-up ball.
    They couldn't guard a single player man on man, but they didn't even try to use that until late in the 2nd half when they had to.

Prince won the game for UT, being in the right spot at the right time for 6 quick points. Without that big spurt, Memph probably coasts with that 5 pt lead all game.
    Tennessee fed off the crowd more than Memph did once it got past the first 8 mins or so.
    It was too close, and they came away with every loose ball, and too many touch fouls. Just cant afford that type of stuff in these games.

The saddest part? UT will probably lose to Vandy next week.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Memphis has to do better at the line or they'll never see the final four this season. If they hadn't shot lights out with the three-pointers early, they'd lost by 10.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Nice win by the Vols. Memphis could be hurt at the line. No doubt. It happened today. Every team has a weakness. And memphis has been exposed. The real problem for most teams is they cannot afford to foul because they do not have the depth. Teams like Duke and North Carolina who typically run 12 deep probably can tho'.

7. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Maybe Calipari will learn it isn't a good idea to give the other team Board material. When you say a team only takes transfers who are from Memphis to get their foot in Memphis recruiting, and then refer to J.P. Prince as "P.J." numerous times, it can come back and haunt you.

Calipari is simply an overrated coach.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That's exactly what I and everyone I was watching the game with was saying. UT would've dominated had it not been for those early three's. I mean Memphis isn't even a 3-point shooting team right? That was crazy.

It was also nuts to think after the first 10 minutes of the game... when the score was like 26-24 or something... that the game was on pace to be like 100 to 100. Crazy.

I will admit that Gloat might have been on to something in another post, UT does looks sloppy bringing the ball down the court at times.

But still, UT is a great team this year, and it's amazing and almost feels world-ending to think Tennessee is rated number 1 in men's basketball.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

When UT tries to do too much (force the pass, shot, etc.) they have problems like most any other team. The key is UT keeps working and seems to settle back down into a rhythm. That's Pearl.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

IF memphis hadn't shot lights out? IF memphis hit a mere 50% of their free throws they would have won easy. IF the vols didn't get every loose ball, and most rebounds, they would have lost. (they suck at rebounding by the way)

And most of all. If Prince wasn't simply in the right place at the right time for an easy tip and dunk, they lose. So we can play the if game all day for both sides. Like, if the refs called the foul on Chism when he tackled Joey Dorsey. Or if the refs called the NUMEROUS times the vols traveled. They travel more than Hansbrough does, and that's bad.

But, it was a great game and it could have gone either way. Tennessee caught the breaks, and won. Could have easily been memphis getting all the bounces and the result would change. I'm glad Memphis lost, only because they needed a loss before entering the tourney.

Vols fans acting like this was a championship game is hilarious to me though. They all met at the bus to cheer for the team like being #1 is such a great accomplishment. Means nothing come March. I hope they know that. And it might be gone as soon as this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar