2008 Tennessee Titans Draft Analysis

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by goTitans.com, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: On Monday, the "experts" will give the Titans a grade on their draft even though everyone knows it'll be 2011 before enough time has passed to truly evaluate this weekend's selections. But that won't keep anyone from passing judgement on Titans GM Mike Reinfeldt including us. So let's look at the Titans draft picks along with the pros and cons of each selection.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

:baghead: :flush: :wall: :hang:

I'm just going to explain the draft in smiley's because i'm at a loss for words

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Nice article TJ.

Reviewing the draft, I think we were outmaneuvered in rounds 1 through 4. Some of it was luck, but some of it was due to a reluctance to move up and pick up one of the more productive WR's in rounds 2 and 3. The Hayes pick was a "panic" pick as Manningham and Doucet were taken. The Johnson pick was our 3rd choice after Jones and Mendenhall were taken just before us.

I like the guys we picked. I don't like the 4th round trade up (and subsequent loss of a 5th round pick) to get somebody we most likely could have gotten with the 5th round pick. We should have gone Doucet in the 3rd and then the TE in the fourth.

4. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

I'm glad you finally ran out. :))

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

no, you can only use four per post.

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Great write-up.

I'm finding that I can get excited about the new Titans players when I read an article like this that focuses solely on the guys we got, but as soon as I start to think about the drafts that other teams had (the Steelers, obviously, plus a few more), it's a lot harder to be excited.

7. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

Ran out of words... :chair:

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

we could have got Hayes next week

9. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

bigtitan, you figured me out...I was going to use a few more smileys but it wouldn't let me.

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I generally agree there Riverman... although I do think they were perfectly happy letting Johnson come to us. If we were looking for a starting RB, then we got hosed in round 1 - but Johnson is exactly the type of player Fisher has talked about since the end of last season.

I wanted us to move up in the 2nd for one of the top WRs on our list, but I think once they landed Johnson they were happy to just wait on a WR. Probably hoping Sweed would still be there but just fine if he wasn't. And in the end Johnson will probably be more likely to be the playmaker we all wanted.

I'll never understand the Hayes move.

I didn't get the Stevens move at the time, but I actually like it. I'm guessing Lendale will appreciate it too. I'd have liked Doucet there, too but in our offense a blocking TE might be more valuable.

So yea, overall I do generally like who we landed. As much as many of us wanted a WR in round 2, I think we all agree we need a #1 guy - we're stocked with solid #2 WRs. There just wasn't a clear #1 in this draft, so given that I really like the Johnson pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar