2008 Tennessee Titans Draft Analysis

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by goTitans.com, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

For some perspective, everyone needs to remember we drafted 25th. I mean seriously, we ought to finish in the lower 5th of the grades. The players left for us were full of flaws no matter who we got. And that is that. Anyone looking for a good draft probably needs their expectations seriously lowered. Some teams this low fill needs. Others pick the best players available. Some take chances. The Strategies this late vary because they have too. When you are a playoff team, you can't seriously expect to have a good draft. Only a hopeful one. And I think we have that.

3. TitanTeam

TitanTeam Guest

Thank you. This is what im talking about good players are rated high and talked about in the news and on tv because they ARE GOOD PLAYERS.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tide...

Do you think a DE who is as fast as Gholston and weighs 260lbs and has elite pass rushing potential is worth a 4th rnd pick? That is the ONLY question. Or you can say is he worth a 4th and 5th rnd? He is or he isn't. None of us can know where he would have gone to (next pick to undrafted) if we hadn't taken him there. So the only question is is he worth that value?

Ikegwuonu? The guy who's battling burglary charges with his brother? The guy who, while preparing for the draft, blew out 2 ligaments in his right knee? This guy has a serious medical and character red flag. He might go to jail and even if he doesn't, he's not seeing a field this year and won't be back to wherever his knee will get to til the following year. Why spend a 4th rnd pick on a guy who can't help us for probably 2 years...assuming he stays out of jail and isn't a rain-maker?

I agree the kids got talent, but no need to draft him right now. Keep tabs on him...legally and injury wise and as he gets injury free, invite him to camp in a year or 2. Meanwhile, the Titans can work on developing a guy who could be a dominant pass rusher.

Gut

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Draft Grade: A

I'll explain later

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Good points and I really think WR wasn't as high of a priority as most people think but at the same time I'm not sure we don't take a WR if there was one available who was worth the pick. CJ without a doubt was the best pick if we wanted the one guy who can make the biggest impact on the offense with our 1st round pick. No WR and argualble no other RB including Mendenhall would open the offense up as much as CJ as well as upgrading our return game.

7. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Okay this is why I give the draft a B+ to A-. Chris Johnson can be used as a RB/WR/KR that fills 3 needs with one player. He'll be a great change of pace back, now I'd still probaly want a WR but I can see why the FO picked him. Jason Jones can play DE/DT so if their is an injury to the starting line we can just plug him in at that position. Craig Stevens is primarily used for blocking but isn't that what we need? Scaife and Crumpler aren't that good of blockers and Stevens would be great on 3rd down who by the way has huge hands and can catch with. Hayes is a head scratcher but I've done a lot of research on him and seems like a huge steal, who can also play OLB. Hawkins had a very underrated career at Cal. mostly because of Jackson and can make an instant contribution and is compared to Derrick Mason. Keglar is very athletic and if he can just get the basics down again he could be a future starter. Finally Cary Williams is someone they can use for special teams.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut knock it off.. You look at the 40 times only on these players?

Why did mel kiper have that guy ranked 66th among DEs? Why wasn't he even on some ranking lists like gbn or nfl draft countdown?

He went to a tiny school, might be more of a 3-4 OLB type.

He averaged 7 sacks over his 2 years as a starter at the small div 2 school. Hardly overwhelming.

And dude we didn't use a 4th rd pick on him we used a 4th AND a 5th.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=25171

NFL draft scout had hayes ranked 79th among OLBs.

Hayes participated in no other drills at the combine just got measured and ran a 40. How strong is he? Can he bulk up some and be a real 4-3 end? Gut mentions him with gholston but gholston had 37 reps. gholston is a proven player in the big ten.

Why are we even having this discussion? Look the 4th rd is the first rd you can take some real chances on a player who is from a small school or had an injury or a character issue. But what do we have to go on other than his measurments and 40 time? Is the 40 time all MR and fisher care about?

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why we were desperate to get hayes..

This was not a good draft for speed rushers and after groves came off the board in rd 2 there were precious few left. Numerous run stopping ends still remained up until rds 5 and 6. Players like harrington in rd 6 represented good value but we already had our run stopping end in jones. With no other speed rushers left in the draft we made sure we got hayes who they obviously liked and maybe over paid in draft capital to get him.

I like the attitude of going after those players you really want even if it means drafting them a rd early but when you do that you better see results or you just end up looking dumb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar