2017 NFL Draft: Day 1

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Tennessean published JRob lamenting no 2nd round pick. Made statement suggestive that he's exploring ways to get into 2nd round

. http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...t-have-second-round-pick-nfl-draft/100994330/

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

If you really love a guy you don't get cute and try to get him at the latest possible point. That's a recipe for disaster. Also, if JRob loved Adoree enough to take him at 18 then it's highly possible, probable even, that there were other GMs who coveted him in that range.

Even assuming he would've lasted to 25-ish, taking him at 18 really isn't much of a "reach" if it means you get your guy. And besides, it takes two to tango. All the QBs were gone by 18 and no one traded up to 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, or 25 either. So that should tell you that teams simply didn't see the value in moving up to that portion of the draft.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

We may have been able to trade with NYG at 23 but if no trade partner it's not happening.
    Mahomes going at 10 really threw a wrench into things for trades happening 18-25.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think the Bears surprised everyone with the move. The Niners must have had others willing to trade up or convinced Chicago they were going to take him.

We won't know who the better players are for some time. You felt there were better players and that's okay. Obviously, JRob didn't.

Did you feel Howard was worthy to be taken at #5? Many did. I think fans latch onto these "draft gurus" and inflate players based on their mocks. 17 other NFL teams took a pass too.

When getting ready to post who we picked in the forum, I had already typed Adams in the headline at #5 and did it again with Howard at #18. Had to delete both. I was surprised.

Did the Titans draft for need? No doubt. It plays a factor. But I don't know JRob's ranking system. The Titans clearly have needs beyond CB and WR. I have to think that there wasn't anyone else on the board JRob felt was a better player then the players selected.

Who would you have taken?

5. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

after thinking about it, 1st round was pretty acceptable

no issue with the Davis pick, if we were going to get a WR it had to be at 5. You have to recall that was basically a free pick from St. Louis.. so when you think of it like that, it was a good value.

The Jackson pick is kinda ehh. I am not convinced he will be a starting CB due to his size. I could see him being primarily a KR and used in the offense instead of letting him try to cover WRs that are half a foot taller. If he is repurposed, I would be a bit more OK with the pick as he would make our offense more explosive and actually make our return game competent.

And if that's the case, the rest of the draft should focus on defense, ignore TE.. not sure why people think we need a TE anyways when we got boss Walker killin kids every week.

6. 8isGreat

8isGreat Starter Tip Jar Donor

I realize your question wasn't for me, but I'll answer it anyway.

I felt Howard was worthy of #5 and a steal at #18 because I believe he's one of the 5 best players that will come out of this draft. Not because I read mock drafts but because I watch a ton of college football (especially SEC) and I love what the kid does both in the run game and passing game. Mark my words, barring injury, we'll regret not taking him for years to come! Bucs may have gotten one of the steals of this draft!

Also, according to the guys on the NFL Network's Draft coverage, the 49ers did not know who it was the Bears were trading up for.

• LOL LOL x 1
  7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Maybe. JRob didn't feel the same, obviously.

Howard had less than 600 yards of receiving last year. Sure, Bama didn't use him much in the passing game but why? Seriously. Ask yourself why you don't use the top TE in the nation more—especially when you have a young QB. I know Bama likes to run but I can see why not everyone feels he's a top 5 guy.

I never thought him worthy of #5. He was very tempting at #18, no doubt. But that's about where I thought he should have been taken in the first place.

I'll admit my picks yesterday would have been Adams/Howard. JRob will have that hanging over his head if they light up the NFL and either Davis/Jackson don't pan out. It'll set this franchise back for years as well.

Why would the Bears tell them who they wanted? The first thing I thought was that they were going for Trubisky.

I'd be pissed if a Bears fan over what they gave up more than the pick itself.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Riverman

JRob as much as said in today's article in the Tennessean he was counting on the trade with his strategy. (He admits lamenting no #2's and possibly working to get one). I think his board was set up on knowing he could get solid D players in the 2nd round. I think he panicked (or AAS told him) he needed to get Davis at all costs for Mariota. We had several players on the board at #5 and #18 in for visits so we know he felt they were all worthy.

If the trades truly dried up after Chicago's move, I'd have taken Adams, Lattimore or Allen at 5, based on LeBeaux's preference. I honestly think our taking Davis at 5 started the WR run. Don't think it'd have happened if we'd taken Allen or Lattimore. I think we'd have seen a CB run instead.

I'd have taken whoever available in preference at 18 : Davis/Howard/Williams.

I still think we're going to regret not taking D with our #5. Both Lattimore, and particularly Allen, will have an ability to impact the team more so than Davis (IMO of course).

It might work out fill holes, but no way do I think Jackson gives us more than we could have had with Lattimore, Hooker, Adams for secondary help. I think we're about to see all true (non-small/hybrid ) CB's get gobbled up.

I hope somehow we land Tim Williams or Shaheen. If they slip and we're going off need- it'd be nice to see one of them.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

I don't think any decision made as far as personnel should be based on Lebeau's input at this point, dude's like 90, he's not going to be here long term so we shouldn't draft someone because a coordinator that'll leave in 1-2 years wants him.. and then we're stuck with that player that may or may not fit the new coordinator's scheme.

10. Riverman

I think LeBeaux's input on best defensive player available is valuable because 1) we're running his system and 2) the guy is a defensive legend.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar