2nd Half Breakdowns: Let's Discuss...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KamikaZ, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Anywho.. back on topic. I did some game film watching. This is what I saw. Please discuss. This is our D-Coordinator's play calling on Sunday.

33 plays 9 blitz 1st half

42 plays 3 blitz 2nd half

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Pacman?

Just for curiosity...please name the bevy of WR's Pac has been shutting down week after week? Or better yet...name 1.

Keep in mind we play mostly zone coverage so it's not like he takes the #1 WR and plays him man to man and nullifies him for a game. That would be nice but we don't play that scheme. In fact, even when we do play man, Pac predominantly plays one side of the field so he takes whatever WR they put over there. But who and how do you think Pac is shutting ANYONE down???

If Pac were able to nullify the #1 WR on the other team man to man, why wouldn't you do that and double cover whomever Hill has vastly improving the secondary coverage? I wonder why they don't do that....

Gut

Gut

3. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Because people watch the games Gut; they take note of WHO is covering WHO on certain plays, and notice who is around the opposing wideout when he makes a catch. Jones has shut down his side of the field for long stretches of the games fairly consistantly in fact; I would be so bold as to call him one of the better performing young CBs in the AFC lately, stunted by a defense that is really really terrible; the only other capable player out in the secondary is Hope.

That said, I don't like Pac at all on ST; waaaaay too many mental breakdowns and he needs to be benched until he gets it right. I have never seen a player get so many oppurunities as a returner with so many lapses. If we had any other capable returners on this squad, they'd be ahead of Adam.

It's waaaay too early for anyone to be calling Jones a good corner, or a waste. It's his sophmore year playing on a terrible defense. He's played well when I get to see him play (I usually have to watch the games on recorded DVDs my friend lends me a week later), but he still has ways to grow.

4. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

yes......................

5. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

not funny..............my wife is dead. I think a mod needs to speak with you. Pretty classless.

6. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Hey gut, remember the Indy game, how many time did Harrison get thrown to, and how many Tds did he put up on Pac ZERO, and if you remember correctly, you will note that although harrison did get a Td, it was only because, the play before, Pac came out after he hurt his knee, so our boy ANDRE WOOLFOLK got put up against harrison, and it only took one play for Peyton Manning to take advantage of that, so mayb you should think beore you say Pac man wasnt being affective

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

I agree with the last half of your post. It is too early to call Pac great or bad and frankly, I think we all know he has talent. We see it here and there.

But it's impossible to have half your secondary shutting down one half of the field and the team throws at will for a top 5 QB rating. It's not possible.

Ask yourself this question, if you were Schwartz and Pac WAS shutting down his half of the field, would you simply drop one or more players to the other side to have more defenders helping Hill? Then it should be near impossible to pass....and yet, that doesn't happen.

A more easily seen example is that Pac is playing zone most of the time which means he's only covering one section of the field. He CAN'T shut down one half of the field playing zone. And there have been several TD's thrown over his head when he's in a cover 2 and they have a shorter WR (he breaks on), another WR over the middle and another one breaks into the corner behind Pac. Is that Pac's fault? Not in a cover 2...that's the DC's fault for allowing the offense to overload that zone. But he's hardly shutting down a side of the field or people wouldn't be coming out of our games with a top 5 QB rating.

If you really wanna see what Pac can do, switch to a predominant man defense and line him up on the other team's #1 WR. Then we'll see if he can take these guys on and 'shut them down.'

Gut

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

We've all seen him in man Gut, and he's usually pretty good; I agree that in zone, he's had problems, as our entire defense has. That's the defense he SHOULD be playing in, unless the WR just towers over him.

9. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

This is a tough question, because if I was Schwartz we would have blitzed more than 3 out of 42 plays in the second half.

I think we should do something about Pac's special teams play. I really think we should let him do kickoffs, since it requires less thinking.

10. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

McNair's numbers were worse in the second half than the first with less blitzing..........................so statistically the blitzing did not matter............the real issue was the lack of play calling on O and laying an egg and playing four corner D for 2 Q's.................that is the staff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar