2nd Half Breakdowns: Let's Discuss...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KamikaZ, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

Nothing new

I had to leave the house for the afternoon and the Titans where up 26-7. When I came home later in the evening and saw they lost 27-26 I thought to myself, well there's a surprise. Although on a smaller scale, it was a breakdown just like the Buffalo game when they were up 35-3 and lost.

This team will NEVER learn how to put teams away when they have a big lead. It's all on Fisher, he's the coach, period.

As I said, I didn't see how they ended up blowing the lead, but from all accounts in this forum make it sound like they went into prevent mode, which we all knows prevents them from winning.

No lead is EVER safe with this team..never. :grrr:

2. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

Sure did, I was wondering the same thing myself. What a bunch of idiots.

3. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

He throws at their feet because of that stupid side arm throw style of his. That isn't going to work in the NFL, sorry. Expect a lot of batted down passes when he throws like that.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

that sounds like the exact thing he should do. pac should have outside leverage because he has help inside(hope). we had THREE guys covering heap, one of which was hope.

pac did cover the corner deep, mason broke off the route because of it. hope was supposed to have the inside covered and didnt.

if pac is supposed to cover the post and the corner he would be superman.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The Mason TD looked like a simple read for McNair. Watch the safety and if he bites on the TE throw to Mason. If Hope runs to the WR at the post throw to Heap. No way Pac had man coverage or he would have been trailing Mason. Mason only had 64 yards in the game and 11 of that was the TD pass. Pac didn't do a bad job overall IMO.

The scheme of the defense was moronic on the TD.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well that would be man coverage, not a cover 4.

Right, letting a punt bounce and muffing one that we recovered ourself is worse than giving up a TD?

But you're right, LT didn't cost us the game and neither did Pac. That falls solely on the coaches.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The problem is we have coverage breakdowns to the tune of 2-3 a game which is killing the defense. Blame scheme if you want but I blame the player when I see someone running 30-yards behind LT and Mase all alone in the end zone.

Even Bulluck whiffed on a tackle which resulted in a TD.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

We know a few things....

The routes run were short flat, 8 yard out and a 15 yard post. Since the Titans like to play so much zone, they were high-lowing the CB...Pac Man.

If he drops deep (cover 3 or 4) they can dump it to the flat. But the first read is the Safety who himself is reading the routes. Hopes sees Heap running at him and start to break....at this point Pac is backing and turning and near Mason. Hope jumps the TE and Pac lets Mason go. Worse still, no one covered the guy out in the flat either.

I remember a similar play a few games ago when Hill got beat for a TD on a post and the safety and LB took the TE in front of him. I suspect this was a similar defense. If Pac had been in a cover 4 he should have broke wider and deeper of DMase so IF Mase broke to the corner (not over the middle), he'd have him...but Pac didn't do that...he drifted back and was in no man's land. If he was in cover 2 he should have taken the flat...cover 4 he should have been in the endzone out wide since he'd have the deep corner. He also wasn't in man cause he didn't stay with Mase.

If you wanna make the argument that Pac was in cover 2 but was drifting back to take heap on a crossing pattern, then we have the same problem as we had a aginst the Jets and Miami where Pac took the underneather outside guy (Heap in this case) and Mase would have broken to the corner for a TD. Of course, then it wouldn't be Pacman's fault but the fault of the DC for calling that play and not getting us out of it, but since Hope didn't widen at the start of the play, that seems unlikely.

Didn't Mason move around during the game? While Mason might have had a 'quiet' 65-70 yards and the gamewinning TD, if he's playing zone, it's not like they didn't throw the ball to the right side of the field. So how can you say Pac had a decent game? We gave up 372 yards passing and 3 TD's including the game winner with under 2 min left. That's terrible pass D in my book and unless Pack had 3 INT's and 3 or 4 pd's, he's just as much to blame as anyone else.

Is this 'decent' coverage what everyone is up in arms about trading?

Gut

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tj...

My High School defense doesn't make 2-3 missed assignments a game and they switch coverage in real time if you overload one side with motion. Do you think these players are worse than high schoolers?

Either they are the worst players in the NFL or we have serious coaching issues...from scheme to coaching techniques, to reads, to tackling, to accountability. I don't blame Schwartz for LT getting fooled (though it was hardly a great fake by any stretch) because LT allows everyone to get behind him. This is where accountability comes in. If the player can't follow simple instructions...you are the deep half safety, you don't come up if someone is running at you until you see a vertical run....you BENCH him. And BTW, you can't even come up if he actually hands the ball off to the running back on a sweep because the RB can through it behind you with a deep backside WR (which we'll probably see next week).

Schwartz is to blame for leaving a player who makes the same mistakes over and over again on the field. And don't tell me Lowry, Fuller and Woolfolk don't know how to stay deep as a Safety. It's not rocket science...and yet why do they leave LT in there?

There is no accountability on this defense nor on this team. I would have looked at the game film of whomever messed up that FG attempt and benched them from that unit. I would have found out who messed up on that game winning TD and benched them for a game.

You need to instill SOME discipline on this team and at 2-7, you have nothing to lose by sitting Pac or Geisinger or whomever for one game. Of course, I would have benched LT several times by now, but the Titans just keep letting it happen. And that's not on the players, that on the coaching staff for letting it happen and on the FO for allowing the coaching staff to do that.

Of course, I would have fired Schwartz years ago and Lowry even before that. But that's me.

Greg

10. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I don't think our offense is bad.. It actually is showing signs of being an excellent group but it needs more experience in order to secure leads and close games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar