2nd year QBs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thaddeus43, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Well, since this year is over for the Titans, the best thing we can do now is to continue to get MM experience and develop him.

MM was considered a 'project' coming out of college, and I think he has out performed most 'experts' expectations in his rookie year. While the season may be appear to be a waste, the experience that MM has gained from this year will be invaluable moving forward. After a full season of learning the NFL ropes, he can really hit the ground running next year.

Just for comparison/projection purposes, here are the NFL QBs that started as rookies last year (at least most of the year) and how they improved from year 1 to year 2 so far.

upload_2015-11-23_15-2-13.png

Bortles has seen a fair amount of improvement from year 1 to year 2. Rating, TD/INT ratio and yards per game are way up ... comp% is a slight decrease, but overall there seems to be a good amount of improvement.

upload_2015-11-23_15-4-18.png

Bridgewater has really not improved nor regressed significantly in any area ... he is basically the same player as last year. He has shown some improvement in TD to int ratio, but he also only has 8 TDs this year so far.

I think he may already be at or very near his ceiling.

upload_2015-11-23_15-3-59.png

Derrek Carr is by far the most improved player. Huge improvement in nearly every single category. He went from being a check down king as a rookie, to being averaging a respectable 7.5 yards per attempt ... Some of this is surely on DC's development as a passer, but I think this also goes to show how much having an actual running game and impact WR can improve a QB.

upload_2015-11-23_15-9-51.png

If we look at MM so far in his rookie year, he really is comparable to any of these players currently in year 2. Unlike Teddy Bridgewater, I don't think MM is anywhere near his ceiling yet.

If we can surround MM with some offensive talent (WR, RB, OL) then there is no reason that MM shouldn't be a top 5-10 QB in his second year.

2. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Winston is having a better year than mm.

• Troll Troll x 3
    • Boring Boring x 2
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 2
  3. Thaddeus43

WTF does that have to do with anything

• LOL LOL x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

something you missed is fumbles.... Those are worse than INT's, so Mariota's TD/INT ratio is kind of misleading... Id rather his INT's increase if he could learn to secure the football and not fumble it away..

As for Bortles, he'll keep improving, plenty of flaws there to correct. Bridgewater is at the top of his game and probably cant get much better. Then theres Carr, I didnt like him coming thru the draft and havent seen enough to really comment... This week Ill have my eyes on him tho..

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  5. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

6. JCBRAVE

he has 10 if you count rushing TD's

• LOL LOL x 1
  7. Thaddeus43

MM and Winston are pretty comparable at this point ... However, Winston has a good running game to take off some of the load and 2 legit WR weapons along with a good TE (MM only has the TE)

The fact is, MM is doing about the same with FAR inferior talent around him.

I think Winston will be a good QB, but he is relying on his team a lot right now ... MM has no one to rely on.

#7 Thaddeus43, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
    • High Five High Five x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

Is he? I didnt know that..

9. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

really. He has more wins. Isn't that why you said dridgewater is better, cuz the wins.

• High Five x 2
    • Troll x 2
    • LOL x 1
    • Boring x 1
    • Hit the Target x 1
  10. JCBRAVE

no

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar