3.1s 40 yd dash?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by 24, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

No.

No, he doesn't.

CJ would get smoked by Tyson Gay, much less Usain Bolt. Bolt would laugh and not even waste his time.

CJ wouldn't even qualify for these finals.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

CJ could not run that fast downhill and on fire.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Anyone who thinks CJ has a shot at competing with world-class sprinters is out of his mind.

And for those of you trying to calculate Bolt's time, remember that meters are longer than yards. Sprinters run 100m. NFL prospects run 40 yards. You also have to remember to calculate Bolts time for the first 40 yards of his race. Taking the average of his speed for the whole race wouldn't get you an accurate answer.

4. 24

24 Starter

I don't see why Usain Bolt just doesn't run the 40 yd dash. He would get so much publicity.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO CJ might have a shot at keeping it close for the first 40 yards assuming CJ could train enough to get out of the blocks quickly (a big if). I think CJ could be capable of running a sub 4.5 even with a starters gun.

In all honesty I wouldn't want CJ bothering with this stuff and rippping a hammy or something. CJ has nothing to prove IMO and until Bolt runs for 1500 yards with a football in the NFL CJ is still my guy.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I think humans can only reach 26 mph. That's what a scientist told me, really. When people say "break a leg" they really mean it. If you ran 28 mph your knees would explode.

As far as Chris Johnson racing this dude, well maybe C.J. got faster since his combine.

7. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

All of the people who are saying that Usain Bolt would run under 4 seconds in the 40 yard dash are incorrect. You can't simply convert from meters to yards and divide by time. It doesn't work that way.

Sprinters start at a speed of 0 and generally accelerate for the first 50 meters and then start to slowly decelerate during the last 30-40 meters.

A more accurate way to estimate Bolt's 40 yard dash time would be to use the 60 meter dash world record as a bench mark. The 60m WR is 6.39 seconds by Maurice Green. Bolt really started pulling away from the field around the 40-50 meter mark, so I would guess Bolt's 60m split would be about 6.35 seconds.

This means that Bolt ran the last 40 meters in 3.34 seconds or 0.0835 seconds per meter. If we assume his speed over the last 40 meters was the same as his speed between 40 yards (36.576m) and 60 meters, than his 40 yard dash time would be......drumroll please.....4.394 seconds.

Surprised?

You really shouldn't be if you know anything about track and field. There is a 0.1 or 0.2 second reaction time between the sound of the gun and when the sprinters start running.

This same reaction time works the opposite way for 40 yard dash times because coaches start the stop watch on the movement of the runners. Therefore the stopwatch starts 0.1 - 0.2 seconds after the runner goes.

So this means that when you hear a player at the NFL combine ran the 40 yard dash in 4.30 seconds, if he were running on a track with a starting gun, he would really have run between 4.50 and 4.70.

Therefore if you account for the reaction times, if Usain Bolt were to run the same 4.394 second 40 yard dash at the NFL combine, they would likely clock him at somewhere between 4.00 and 4.20 seconds.

makes sense to me

8. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Your knees would explode huh? You realize that less than a 60 years ago, they thought that a man would die if he ran a 4 minute mile or less? We are evolving to be stronger, faster, smarter and we will continue to. Usain Bolt is a perfect example of the faster part. His time will be beat.....someday.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

we live in an age where a guy born to run - like Bolt - can run for a living. In the past a guy like Bolt would have been more likley be anything BUT a runner. Same with the strongman things. Those guys are built for lifting. Stand one of those Nordic strongmen next to Bolt and the contrast is obvious - lol

10. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I really hope your joking, if so, it was a pretty good joke. If not, omfg....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar