3-4 Defensive Prospects

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Fry, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Pairing a 1st round OLB (Mack or Barr) w/ Casey would be fantastic. Hopefully having those two will open up holes for Ayers, Brown, Pito, and some of the others.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Bump.

Marcus Smith, DE, Louisville. Played primarily standing up while rushing the passer. Shows good athleticism, speed, quickness. Sets the edge well. Good Hustle. I like his pass/run recognition.

He went to Louisville as a QB, but when Bridgewater chose UL over Miami it became apparent he wasn't going to play, so he switched to DE. Only been playing the position for four years, so he needs some refinement. Better hand usage and an inside move.

He'd make a good hybrid player in a 34/43.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/marcus-smith-vs-miami-2013/

3. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Looks like Strong used him in every way possible. I could see him being a hybrid player in a 3-4 or 4-3 too. Honestly, he looks like how Derrick Morgan looked like at Georgia Tech.

It's crazy how he was a QB at one time.

4. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

I was actually about to come up here a start getting on the soapbox for Smith. I am a big fan of his and would love to see him in the second if we don't go QB

5. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Way too raw at his position to pick him in the 2nd round.

Missing out on a 3rd round pick will hurt us this year. I really believe 1st round talent will fall to the early 3rd round this year.

I will bet you anything that Smith can be had in the 3rd round.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Morgan Breslin
    OLB | USC | 6'1 250
    Led the Trojans in tackles for loss with 19.5 and sacks with 13.5 in 2012
    Was injured for most of his senior year
    Projected 4th-5th Round

If he was healthy his senior year, I think we'd see this guy go late 1st potentially

7. J Falk

J Falk Starter

I disagree that 5 tech DE's will be a need. Casey, Martin, Klug, Morgan, (possibly Ripoti)...I'm confident a couple of them will transition nicely.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I think moist of our guys can transition to a 3-4. Morgan and Edwards are very similar to Tamba Hali. Brian Orakpo or ryan Kerrigan physically and Ayers is ideally suited to the position. 3-4 OLB is basically the same position as the 4-3 DE except for some cover responsibility but it is not like you have to run with Reggie Bush.

We had 6 D-linemen over 300 lbs this year and those same guys along with Klug would be a fine rotation for the front 3. Few or none of you could even name the Steelers starting NT and the Ravens had top 10 defenses with Kelly Gregg at NT for many years. The idea you have to have some 400 lb stud there is wrong.

The 49ers were the best 3-4 defense and they have not one exceptionally big guy up front! Is Glen Dorsey a super beast?

I think Hill could be a beast at 3-4 end with Casey at NT eating up blockers. Mookie at 328 lbs can certainly play that spot.

Big issue is at ilb but the misconception is that you need physical players there or bigger players. Patrick Willis isn't big. I can't think of any good 4-3 inside linebacker who was not good in a 3-4. The idea is NOT to let the o-linemen get on your in the first place. If the NT is eating up 2 blockers every play the ILBs are not getting blocked.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Name one exceptional 4-3 player who went to crap after his team switched to a 3-4?

Justin Smith was pro bowl 4-3 end for the Bengals. How has he done with 2 gap responsibility as a 3-4 end? Still a pro bowl player.

Robert Mathis have trouble making the change?

JJ Watt had to make a major schematic change coming to the nfl. Struggling?

If a guy like Ngata or a Dontari Poe were to join a 4-3 team would they have problems with the change?

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I do enjoy reading RT's comparisons to future hall of famers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar