3 strikes rule, good idea or not.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Feb 24, 2007.

?
  1. BAD idea

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Good idea

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sledge

Sledge Guest

That's not a fair argument, you're acting as if Henry's the only guy in the league doing illegal drugs. But nice try nonetheless...

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i wasnt acting that way at all, im just trying to relate it to one of our players that no one seems to have a problem with.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

actually, it just hit me, travis henry would already be kicked out of the league. remember early in his career when he tried pick up some young girl? well, she ended up being under age and he pleaded to a lesser charge. couple that with his drug violations, he's gone.

good news for chris brown though.

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I think I'd trade in my normal job for their's. Way more perks and fun to their job.

5. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

A strike system? Too complicated. I think the NFL should have the ability to ban a player when he commits SERIOUS offenses (involvement in murder, larcency, cheating, etc etc).

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

oh who wouldn't, but still.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

man imagine banning a steroid abuser first up. That'll teach the players.

Lucky adultery isn't in there...be a pretty empty league. :ha:

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

The only way to police thug players is to hit them in the wallet.

Contract clauses covering their posse' activities which they're guilty of by association. If it was feasible I guess teams would already have such clauses, I'd like to see it though.

9. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Associating these so-called "strikes" to the game of baseball, not all balls going across the plate are strikes, some are just balls. A line would have to be drawn as to what the NFL will and will not tolerate. Traffic tickets vs beating the boogers out of your spouse, a big difference. But, on the other hand, what if a player has 50 unpaid traffic tickets and a warrant has been issued? Strike or no strike?

[/QUOTE]and does the league wait for things to take their course or do they just slap the player with a strike like they do a fine, only to find out six months later the charges are dropped?.[/QUOTE]

Alot of thinking went into this answer. If Donny Nickey had done half the things Pacman has done off the field, would he still be a Titan? Do you think Pac is getting special treatment somewhere down the line? I think several Titans have got away with a few things based on who they are.(I won't leave it at that, how about McNair, Hopkins and a few others. Not just Pacman).
    Guilty by Association has brought a lot of attention to Pacman, Nashville, Titans, Tennessee and the NFL. If your story makes coast to coast Robert Cronkite coverage, you might get a 'strike'. The entire point is to force these players into making better choices. One of those choices being, the selection process, or elimination process, of the thugs you hang with.

[/QUOTE]pacman has NOT been named a suspect(that we know of), so does he get a strike for being there?.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this one. If I slammed a toppless waitresses face into a wooden stage in Vegas, my tired little pink arse would still be in Vegas under lock and key. There are alot of questions about Pac & Vegas, some are really 'out there'. One being the above mentioned assault. Another I heard was that Pac bit the ankle of a security guard. How? Was the guard standing on his head or was Pacman laying on the floor? There's no medium on this one, it had to be one way or the other. The first story I heard was that Pacman was in a strip bar throwing money around and was thrown out because of it. That makes sense!
    Again, Guilty by Association. Someone with Pacmans group shot 3 people. The strike would help him make life style changes and hopefully eliminate the posse of thugs. Some where during the process, Pac will be forced to decide on $millions$ or '0'.

[/QUOTE]a lot of grey area that has to be defined because we are talking about someone's career.[/QUOTE]

You're right. In some cases, I hope they took their college courses to heart.
    I do not make the money that NFL players do. At the job that I do work at, there are levels that I have to live up to in order to keep my job. I know what those levels are and I respect them.

10. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

I'd like to hear more about this. And even if it's adopted, it might need to be refined as experiences dictate.

Something else I'd like to see them consider is a rookie minimum. I don't know how (or even IF) it's done in other professional sports. But if teams could sign their rookies to a one-year contract at an across-the-board minimum, it could be helpful for both sides -- and serve as incentive for the rookies to keep their noses clean for a year as they adjust to life in the NFL and all that encompasses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar