4-3 vs 3-4 Which Defense is Best for Titans?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewHorizans, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Maybe, but if you're setting the bar that low... why even bother?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well that's a fair point, but didn't Cleveland's pitiful lineup beat New Orleans, and New England.... That's not easy to do.

And if you consider how much worse Peyton Manning is vs 3-4 defenses, that alone could be enough to make the switch.

3. wg53

wg53 Starter

Way to same the exact same thing I said in the previous 2 pages.

4. TorontoTitanFan

Uh... neither of your examples is even close to convincing evidence that the 3-4 is better. Just because the Patriots lost a game to a bad team doesn't mean it's time to overhaul the Titans' roster. You have to be able to see that it would be crazy to base an entire defensive philosophy on such flawed reasoning.

5. TorontoTitanFan

Suggestion: read my post again. I mentioned at the beginning that I wasn't going to read through all the pages of dumb bickering about the 3-4.

If we have the same opinion, then cool. I don't see how it makes sense for you to call me out on it. We're on the same side here.

6. JCBRAVE

How is beating the reigning Super Bowl champions, and the best team in football for the past 10 years not good reasons to go 3-4? And being that we face Manning twice a year, and knowing he's not that great vs 3-4 teams, also not good reasoning?

7. TorontoTitanFan

Two words: sample size.

If you think that it's a good idea to completely overhaul a team's defense because of one single game in which a crappy team beats a good team, then you might be going crazy. Any NFL team can beat any other NFL team at any time. One Browns upset win doesn't mean the entire NFL should run out and copy everything the Browns do.

The fact that Peyton Manning struggles against 3-4 defenses (a point which is very debatable, especially since all 3 other AFC South teams have decided that the best way to compete in the division is with a 4-3) is meaningless in the big picture since Manning is just one guy.

You don't build a defense based on what one team did or how one player plays. You look at the big picture. You figure out what talent you have on your roster, what talent you can acquire and what scheme you think will work most effectively. Then you come up with a comprehensive plan to put the best defense on the field that you can.

If you start making decisions based on tiny details that are insignificant in the big picture, you have already lost.

8. JCBRAVE

Listen buddy, I've got both Creeping Cruds & RollTide high-fiving me today, I'm doing something right.
    You are overlooking this reasoning. If the worthless Cleveland Browns can do it with God awful players, then so can we. We are a NT away from being able to pull this off.

We should be doing everything the Cleveland Browns do, they're the standard in the NFL. (Sike)

The Texans are waking up by going to a 3-4.

And as far as not building a defense based on what one team did, well talk to Jeff Fisher about that. He drafted Andre Woolfolk just because of who Houston drafted.

I understand entirely what you're saying. But I still think we need to get towards running the 3-4. Maybe not this year, but soon. And the fact that the Browns 3-4 defense beat the top 2 teams say something. The fact that Rex Ryan's brother helped him beat the Colts, and Patriots says something. Cleveland sucks at life in general, but they're onto something using the 3-4. Rob Ryan didn't become the Cowboys coordinator because he got lucky.

9. TorontoTitanFan

My mistake. I bow down to you.

Also, I figured I would leave this out of my earlier argument because my point was that it's dumb to look at any one team and copy what they do, but the Cleveland Browns (the team you keep using as the example of why the Titans should switch to a 3-4) have decided to abandon the 3-4 and go back to using a 4-3.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. JCBRAVE

Okay you win.

And they're not the REASON I want us to switch. They're simply an example that says the 3-4 is good vs. great QB's, even when you're a joke of a team. That's about all. And right now, many people would say we're a joke of a team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar