4th and 4

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

why oh why on 4th and 4 do you launch a friggin prayer ?

how 'bout one of those nifty flat routes
    or a quick out to the marker
    a TE across the middle was working
    hell, a McNair bootleg would work alot better
    than
    a friggin go route to Calico of all people

I mean, Tyrone Calico can't catch a cold naked in a blizzard

Tyrone, the tribe has spoken, it's time for you to go

2. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I don't mind the play call as much as the drop :sad2:

3. Nine

Nine Starter

What really stinks is, until that particular drive, Calico's hands had been solid all year long....he's made a number of difficult catches in traffic this year. I've wondered about his speed and his ability to change direction, but I had a lot of confidence in his hands. For him to have big drops on two consecutive plays...one of which may have very well been a TD...it's not only inexcusable, but it's also out of character for him. (Obviously, he had some problems with drops in his rookie season, but since then, he's caught pretty much everything thrown his way, dating back to last preseason.)

I'm still not going to write him off just yet...maybe he just had a bad hands day....but my confidence in him sustained a big blow today.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I question the call on 4th down as well. Why not run that play on 1st or 2nd down? Mac threw a real nice ball however and needs a little help from his WR.
    I know I'm probally looking at this overly simplistically but it seems that to execute a 5 yard pass play, good blocking, crisp route, accurate pass and catch has all most the same probability of success as running an 11 yard route. How many times do we get a couple of 3-4 yard plays, running or catching and then not be able to execute the 3rd down? In other words what is easier to do, complete 3 4-5 yard passes or one 10-11 yard pass to get a 1st down? Our 3rd down efficiency is about as bad as it can get.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Man, you guys sound as if Calico was the only one running a pass route. While I don't remember the play exactly I'm sure at least 2 other Titans were on pass routes, however they can't all run 5 yard outs, so you have to send one deep.

Apparently he was the only one open or the only one McNair saw, but don't call it bad playcalling, Chow didn't instruct McNair to throw it to Calico, regardless of all other circumstances.

Unless none of the receivers make it past the first down marker in their designated routes, you can't label it a bad playcall. Rather it's poor decisionmaking in picking the receivers to go to, poor execution in the routerunning or really good defence.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Calico was the main route on that play. Obviously the thought was that the DB would bite on the short route considering the down and distance.
    I doubt McNair ever even looked anywhere else.

7. ilincoln

ilincoln Camp Fodder

Isnt this our offense this in a nut shell. Steve hits them in the hands and they find any possible means of dropping it.

8. smili

smili Starter

I actually liked the playcall. Give the Texans credit for having good D on a 4th down play where they're likely to bite on shallow routes. Still it was good pass by McNair and easily could've been a catch.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

not sure who the first guy was to draw the odds on that play
    "hmmm, let's look at our scenarios ........
    A _- the receiver ctaches the ball for a 20+ yard play on 4th and 4 ELECTRIC !!! All 25,000 of these fans will go nuts !!!!
    B_- the cover corner gets an interfernece call
    C_- hopefully the dline will jump
    D-- penalty of any description will work
    E- the WR whiffs the catch , we turn it over where they woulda returned

"Hell, fellas .... from what i can figure we got some goods odds of something positive happening here - let's live a little!!!"

it's damn silly sometimes what an NFL team will do

kinda what my point is that the play call there should be something with a higher percentage of being sucessful than a random act of events

- soemthing I can't figure out with Jeff. he will keep going to the same guy on some drives regardless of his "game" at the time. he likes to keep pounding it into the "cold" guy. He did it with Scaife the other week , did it with Ben this week, and was doing it with Ty in either this particular drive or the few just before it. He had missed several repeated attempts to force it into his hands. CHANGE IT UP A LITTLE.

4 yards ...... not 24 yards. i can't really see the need for Ty to be running a go anyway, UNLESS he was trying to draw away from the underneath/intermediate and I do not believe they were even in the picture - thise guys probably weren't even intending to look for the ball.
    Yo can do al kinds of stuff there - a lot of 5-7 yard HIGH PERCENTAGE stuff. Where is there a need to go exgerrative in that scenario ?

just get the down first, then you can fire at will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar