6 years since we had an Impact Rookie

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CriticalTheory, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CriticalTheory

CriticalTheory WestSide 718 ShadowMafia!

Damn you know The Critical one has been and continues to dwell on this, I look back to that Superbowl season. I see that we had a good team alot of the players were key but one can't deny the impact of a certain rookie. Jevon Kearse was a key factor in our SB XXXIV run he put up 14.5 Sacks as a rookie. The fact that he was such a threat helped our defense out alot and propelled the team to a SB appearance.

Theory then looks at the following years 00,01,02,03,04,05 nobody we drafted in those years came in and made devastating impact. Haynesworth is a force in our run defense but lets be honest people. He hasn't reached the level we all thought he would and I've seen post on here stating that.

There are exceptions but If anything once again lets be real the players.We have drafted HAVE these two statements attached to them.

"He needs time to develop"
    Well every year it takes for that guy to develop and help this team out. The Jags, Colts are getting better as you can see a victory against the Jags was always sure now it's not. We used to own the Colts but through impact rookies and drafting they now own us.

"He's injured/ Well he got hurt
    Damn why does it seem like our rookies are the ones who have all the injury problems? I have never seen a team constantly draft players who end up hurt for most of the season. Say what you will but the Colts, Jags and others have guys who get hurt but not like us.

I believe this upcoming draft can change the fortunes of this team if we find that impact rookie. Critical is telling you guys if we draft an impact rookie at a Position such as LB, WR, DE, S, RB our team will get better.

Our best chance at a SB pretty much died in 2000 came back in 2002, faded off after that year 2003 was ok. Thing is we just aren't drafting those players who can be big time. All the potential but we see it for 6 plays out of 4 games in a 16 game season.

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

The only arguement you could make is for Chris Brown. But he's been ducking playing time since he got here. But yeah, the closest we've had to Kearse, as far as instant impact, would be Jones this year. :sad2:

3. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

I think PacMan is an impact player.

4. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

The Schwartz is with him....

5. CriticalTheory

"Pac-Man" has been the only rookie since Kearse that has really done something although not a big impact like Kearse.

He has given our Return game a big boost the best it's been since Mason.

Brown gets a pass as rookie only because Eddie was here and the guy still was injured.

6. danny

danny Guest

Not denying Kearse's talent and impact, he was the last piece to a puzzle on that defense that already had a wealth of talent and leadership and a reputation to knock your head off. He had a great core group of veterans to follow and expectations from his peers. He excelled because of that and many other reasons.

Haynesworth is just starting to tap his potential. If you remember coming out, he was labled as "untapped potential". It's taken him a while to grow up, but that potential is finally starting to show. Granted, if he was the best DT in the league, Domanick Davis and Shawn Alexander wouldn't have combined for over three hundred yards in the past two weeks either.

Watching Pacman, you can see how he develops each week. He had been doing well in coverage although Jurevicius torched him on that quick slant last week. His return ability has really started to shine and he is and will continue to be a playmaker. Had Pacman had to answer to guys like Bruce Matthews, Blaine Bishop, Joe Bowden, Eddie Robinson, etc. or even before them, Ray Childress, things might have been different. Pacman has had the most impact of any rookie since Kearse but it hasn't even been close to the impact Kearse had. One major reason being the lack of a supporting cast.

The positive way to look at this is that the Titans will have another chance at a true blue chipper in this year's draft and that first rounder will have that much better of a chance to make an impact because his supporting cast will be one year older.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Good point.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I agree completly. And it goes well beyond first rounders. Reynolds comes to mind immediatly as a perfect example, and there are more. Reynolds is constantly hurt and out for games, yet you can bet he will be here another 2 years and will have done nothing that a midseason UFA pickup could not have done. I hope I am wrong but the Titans seem to constantly acquire there types of guys.

Hey at least we traded one to the dolts for a seventh this season so at least we are spreading it around some.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

maybe its because we havent picked in middle of the draft since haynesworth, and we was third in the tackle rotation.

since kearse we've traded our first round pick, drafted haynesworth in middle of round one, drafted woolfolk at the end of round one, troupe in the second round and finally pacman in the top 6.

people say it doesnt matter where you're drafted, but it seems in our case it does.

10. CriticalTheory

Man speak the real we always draft these type of guys i'm sick of it.

Some of the blame has to be put on the conditioning staff remember back in 2003 Training camp where everybody hamstrings were falling apart. That right there is a sure sign of poor stretching which falls on the coaches, staff and players.

Now some injuries are just going to happen but when you get guys every year that get hurt either they are soft or it's the conditioning staff fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar