A Case For Mariota -- 20 Years After Reese Overruled Fisher And Took McNair

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The Hammer, Dec 21, 2014.

?
  1. Yes! Mariota is the best option for the Titans and Whis can work around him

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. No! Mariota sucks and I want someone else or to stick with Mett

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Reads are made by the coach, Marcus like many college qbs will take signals from the sidelines

2. 520

We wont "get" mariota. We will trade down or take d. Im thinking mariota falls out of top ten...definitely out of top 5

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

That only goes for formation based pre-snap reads. The most important part is still the post-snap reads.

4. 520

Only read he makes is to hand off or not. Read the end. Easy. Otherwise its one read or run.

5. 520

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

7. 520

Obviously winston had a bad game. That doesn't change the fact he is 100x better suited for the NFL than mariota

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Just being better than someone bad, doesn't make you good. As I said earlier, I don't want either, I just question the comments about Mariotta not having to make reads.

9. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

If we take Winston you will never hear the words VY out of my mouth again! I will be ecstatic!

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Most offense - run n shoot, west coast, etc have rules built in for the play and what the defense does against it. For example, not all of our plays have hot routes because of the 'rules' for the play/protection/read.

Mariota and his coaching staff will look over the D and either adjust/change the play based on pre-snap. Then they hike the ball and Mariota reads the defense. I'm not as well versed in the Spread system but it looks similar to a run and shoot in that the plays spread defenses out so the QB will put one or two defenders in a bind and that is who the QB reads. it is a different reading system than say a more traditional pro style offense. However, even though the Run n Shoot didn't need to read the whole field most of the time, the QB had to read the defense to break them down into one of a few coverages and based on that, knew which defensive player(s) to read so he knew most of the time if this defender goes there, I throw it here.

While the 'reading' is different, a lot of NFL progressions use similar tactics in various passing concepts. And btw, all teams have adopted some of the Run and Shoots elements even though they don't run that offense. Russell Wilson doesn't spend a whole lot of time reading the whole field even now.

The key is to design your offense to match the strengths of your players/abilities.

I was not impressed with the Slack link. I don't know him or that system, but the videos would make me NOT buy the system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar