A different look at the Offensive Line

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Mar 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

So I've been thinking about our offensive line from last year, and how everybody is insisting that a new left tackle is what we truly need to protect Mariota. Likely because of the disaster of Poutasi at RT at the beginning of the year. So I decided to look at it a little more closely. What I found kinda surprised me.

So sacks happen on passing downs, and as such the easiest way to see who's pulling their weight here is to look at Pass Blocking Efficiency grades from 2015 Titans O linemen. I started with the tackles.

Tackles:

Taylor Lewan: 84.4 – That’s top 15 in the league.

Byron Bell: 61.2

Jamon Meredith: 36.5

Jeramiah Poutasi: 32.0

Clearly Lewan is dominant as a pass protector. Byron Bell is middling, somewhere around the 30th best tackle in the league. What you'd expect, but was a big upgrade over Poutasi. And Poutasi and Meredith were absolutely AWEFUL with two of the worst grades in the league…. But wait… Whats that? We STILL gave up too many sacks after Bell moved to RT and Poutasi was benched? I know…well then I found something else….

Centers:

Joe Looney: 26.8!

Andy Gallik: 27.8!

The two worst pass protection grades in the entire league by a long shot. To put this in perspective, Ben Jones had one of the best grades in the league at 72.3. Now I see why HE was priority number one for JR. By moving Jones into the lineup, the line improves dramatically.

Guards:

Quinton Spain: 79.8! - One of the top grades in the league, though he didn't start playing till week 11. From then on he was dominant.

Chance Warmac: 53.8 – middle of the pack.

So after all is said and done, adding Jones and reshuffling the line to Lewan, Warmack, Jones, Spain and Bell would grade in the top third of the league in pass protection! Surprising isn't it? Welcome Ben Jones.

• Informative Informative x 14
    • High Five High Five x 3
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I said this in a lot less words when Jones was added. Schwenke and those other 2 centers were crippling to our team. Hard to pass the ball when a DLineman is on top of your Center literally half the time because they're so bad.

Ben Jones should make this line functional, and with a years experience Mariota on his own will be better.

Draft Ramsey!

• High Five High Five x 7
    • Boring Boring x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  3. Wolverine

Wolverine Starter

There will be no greater impact on a offensive line than a savy veteran center. Not only does he set the passing and blocking calls for everyone else, he helps mariota will blitz recognition and blocking adjustments.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. piepsilon

piepsilon Starter

Everyone is also forgetting another change to our offensive line. We have replaced Bostad with Russ Grimm. Yes I know, Grimm has had some rough moments in recent history. He is still a huge upgrade over Bostad.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
  5. Wolverine

Wolverine Starter

Not to mention we will be running more power and heavy formations, no more leaving our tackles by themselves against teams best lineman.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Subjugation

Subjugation Starter

Ramsey, Ramsey, Ramsey! The time has come gentleman.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  7. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Quinton Spain's NFL draft profile. Take a look at the NFL comparison :)

STRENGTHS
    Shows surprising short-area movement skills for a man his size in run game. Can secure and climb to the second level in zone game. Able to generate some push at point of attack with leg drive. Flashes power in his hands, but needs to show it more often. Keeps relatively wide base in pass pro and has very good length for interior player. Nasty, aggressive disposition on the field. Will leave his feet to launch into help-block on defensive linemen trying to bat pass down and loves to punish linebackers and safeties who try to B-gap blitz him. Consistently looks for work.

WEAKNESSES

Hands are inconsistent. Slow to the punch, nullifying his long arms. Hands often land on triceps or shoulders rather than inside the framework. More catcher than puncher. High-riser with pad level in pass protection and shows leg stiffness. Upright set and shoddy hand work leads to lack of desired anchor despite his power. Needs better initial footwork in run game and to take better angles to second level. Will lose leverage and let linebacker leak back inside on the play. Doesn't always display a great feel for his blocks if they aren't right in front of him.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 6 or 7

SOURCES TELL US

"Size and length are what you want. What you won't find out until you get him is if he can correct those hands. Really worried about his anchor." -- AFC offensive line coach

NFL COMPARISON

Louis Vasquez

BOTTOM LINE

Big interior linemen with long arms and has the desired "nasty" teams are looking for. He is strong enough, but won't always play to his natural strength because of his inconsistent hands (both placement and timing of punch) and inconsistent knee bend. Short-area mauler with an ability to short pull and be functional on second level when asked. What could keep him from becoming a pro is a stiffness that creates severe anchor issues for him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I'm really hoping for Ramsey, a shot in the arm this D needs. Hopefully he gives the same buzz on D Mariota did on O. As good as a player Tunsil is, I don't think he will provide to this team what Ramsey will/can

• High Five High Five x 5
  9. Wildwar

Wildwar Starter

Ill believe it when i see it but it does look promising.

10. Titan/Oiler34

Titan/Oiler34 Special Teams Standout

Good info in op. Ben Jones will help a tremendous amount with the interior issues. I don't think it changes anything regarding the draft though. Still think Tunsil is going to be the pick if we don't trade down. Then taking a safety in the 2nd if 1 of the top guys drop to us otherwise it should be by a regardless of position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar