A Look at Free Agent Prospects for '07

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Thought he played safety.

2. nouveaux

nouveaux Starter

Sorry, he is a Safety. Would be good to replace LT.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Do you want to spend some serious money on a guy like Hamelin who may or may not be anything more than an avg S?

Of course, the 'rule' is you don't spend money on the FS position, but we have a lot of cap to spend. However, there is no Pro Bowl FS that will be available...so why spend money their in FA? Especially when there are some nice S prospects in the draft...

I think we need to draft a FS...

If you want Freeney be prepared to give up a buttload of cash AND a first rndr cause if the Colts are smart (they wouldn't get rid of him at all), they'll at least Franchise him and allow the Titans to ONLY give up a lot of cash and a 1st rnd pick. So would Freeney be worth as much or more as a Thomas and whomever we could take for our 1st rnd pick?

Thomas would only cost us cash...but Freeney is a MONSTER pass rusher (though Thomas ain't bad)...something we could really use!

Gut

4. TM

TM Starter

After yesterday's game, Freeney has a grand total of 16 tackles and 2.5 sacks....for the season.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

After considering just that -- that Freeney will cost more cash AND a first round pick, I'd just go after Thomas I believe. I can even see some more 46 defensive looks with him on the squad.

I'd go after FS in the draft, possibly round one. Ken Hamlin, I've decided I'm just "uh" on him. The only problem, without experience at the position (Finnegan, Fuller and Lowery), and drafting another FS, makes it more likely they retain Thompson. Booo. But oh well. These guys are smart. They'll figure it out. Fuller will be a 3rd year guy, same year Hope was last year, I believe, when he broke out.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tm...

If you ONLY go by sacks, you're gonna miss the boat.

How many pressures has Freeney had? When matched up one on one with the LT (the best pass blocker on the team), I'd guess he's getting pressure about 75-80% of the time.

Currently, most teams still slide their protection to his side more often than not (despite Mathis having a lot more sacks and being an excellent pass rusher in his own right). And currently, all teams slide their protection to KVB's side since we have little pass rush threat at RDE. Add a Freeney and you'll see our sacks go way up and our pass defense improve dramatically.

Plus, there is a certain irony in watching Dwight Freeney destroy Peyton Manning as a Titan!!!

Gut

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Like Thornton, he was possessed yesterday.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Who was possessed?

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Boiman? I missed it.

10. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

No doubt DE will get a good chunk of our cap $$$. As has been pointed out earlier, it is nice that DE actually is the deepest area in FA. With Freeney, Smith, Thomas, Little, and Grant all be UFA. I would be very happy with any of them. I like Grant because he is a force in the running game as well weighing in at 290lbs. He has had 2 10+ sack yrs in his 5 yr career and has 6 so far this yr. So he is young, has produced, and is the best DE against the run of the guys listed above.

I spend my FA money on DE, CB, and OL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar