A new strategy, trade down!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Hey i love vince young and it is hard to imagine that lienart wouldn't at least be decent as a pro. But the obvious fact is that you only have a 50/50 chance with a QB at that spot and i'm nervous about it. And unless the guy is just so terrible(shuler, leaf) you know very soon he is not ever going to be good a guy like that can lead you down the path of darkness for years. Look at harrington and the lions. For years they have been waiting for that guy to get good and in the mean time have made no effort to get get another QB untill they got garcia as a stop gap last year. Now they might have to start all over again.

So trade down a few places if we can get some value there. Just a 2 spot move would bring what a 3rd and 5th rd pick? Maybe more? So here is what we do.

1.We make that trade and draft hawk. Linebacker problem solved!

2.We use our 2nd rd pick to draft omar jacobs. We use one of our 2 third rd picks(volek trade) or maYBE a 4th to get another QB. A croyle, pinegar or gradkowski perhaps. QB of the future solved!

3. That leaves our third through 5 rd picks to get value at safety, WR, O-line, another linebacker even another QB etc.

What is wrong with that? Look at many of the better QBs and where they came from. Delhomne, bulger, warner, volek and holcomb were not even drafted. Freotte was drafted in rd 7 the same year the redskins drafted shuler #1. Brunell was a 5th rd pick, brady a 6th rd pick. Drew brees was a 2nd rd pick as was rex grossman. Chris simms was a 3rd rd pick i think. That's a lot of servicable to pro bowl caliber QBs that were not 1st rd picks. So we bring in several QBs, draft picks and free agents and in the meantime we can better meet our other needs.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

there is a 50/50 chance on qb's in the first found, but your chances go down even more after the first round. i mean sure, we could trade down for the next six years and take a qb in the second and third rounds and hope to stumble upon a steal, but its unlikely.

i'm nervous about it too, but it needs to be done either this year or next year. i'm not sure the prospects are much better next year than this year. brady quinn, is he a prodcut of the system? brian brohm, how is his knee recovering and will he even enter the draft? troy smith, does he have the arm strength and is he tall enough?

and rex grossman was a first round pick.

3. Should the Colts have traded down so they didn't have to take Peyton? Should the Bengals have traded down so they didn't have to take Palmer?

We have the #3 pick and a star QB who is getting older. There should be 1 of 2 franchise QBs on the board. Take a QB assuming they grade out...

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Bigtitan....starkiller...

Big titan, i'm still advocating we spend significant draft capital on QBs. Maybe even a 2nd and a 3rd rd pick. Drafting in those rds is not stumbling on a good player. You are just drafting 2 guys with the idea that one will be good.

Starkiller, your whole post has no merit because neither young or lienart are the same caliber prospects that palmer or manning were. That's the problem. Floyd reese said that in his post comparing young to mcnair. He said there are issues regarding youngs ability to adjust to the pro game. Mel kiper has said that lienart is not palmer's equal. Either player has a real strong arm and lienart had an nfl caliber team around him. We draft young, are we getting mcnair or andre ware?

Look i love vince young and am really more with you guys on drafting him. But he is not a can't miss prospect. Omar jacobs isn't either but the risk is less getting him.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

oh for the love of all things worthy of loving, can we please dispense with all the AJ / DJ talk. You'd think people would've learned the lesson last year.

LB is THICK this year. I see no reason whatsoever to use the 1st round pick on a LB. Some mocks have us scooping up D'Qwell Jackson in the 2nd, and I can deal with that. Many Lawson (who is currently a DE, but could play LB very easily) should be there in the 2nd. HE friggin dominated (beasted fools) at the Senior Bowl

EVEN IF we trade down, I still think we should target
    A- D'Brickashaw Ferguson (OT)
    B- DeAngelo Williams (RB)
    C- Jay Cutler (QB)
    D- Michael Huff (S)
    E- Winston Justice (OT)
    F- "Super" Mario Williams (DE) - the next "Freak" - best DE since Peppers

on defense the most pressing need is on End and at Safety. this team has shut down some decent backs ..... but couldn't shut down some of the worst QB's
    Pass Rush and Coverage are bigger concerns

not trying to step on your toes RT

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

but, I'd much rather take a chance on Vince
    I'd freaking hate it if we passed on that cat

it's VERY possible that he can be everything that McNair ever was

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

You don't have to try Puckdaddy...It's easy. My only concern is wondering what might have been when the Jets or somebody are in the SB w/ VY and he's like League MVP or something. That would suck.

OT: Puck, I can't keep up with your signiture...dear God.

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well I think we as fans have to resign ourselves to the fact that we don't know enough about each propsect to know what is the "smart" thing to do.

If gametape shows that Young has a high risk of turning out like Akili Smith or Ware, the clever thing is to trade down or pick Brick or Leinart or whoever else is an option. If however gametape shows that he might be the next McNair or an upgraded Mike Vick, we should grab him.

The only fans that have seen enough of Young to make an informed choice are Longhorns fans and thus their opinion doesn't count.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i'll agree that safety is a big need, but i wouldnt put it above linebacker. our speed at linebacker is downright bad.

we wouldnt be able to trade down too far to get mario williams. the packer will take him or aj hawk.

10. Troupe4Prez

Troupe4Prez Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar