A new strategy, trade down!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

You watch the film, you "scout" players, you interview the player - Sure, players with blue eyes are generally better Quarterbacks than players with green eyes, but at the end of the day, that's why they make them coloured contact lenses.

Scouts are paid good money for a reason. They evaluate players and make a recommendation as to who is the better player based on their observation.

I am an absolute whiz with spreadsheets and I have a college degree in mathematics majoring in statistics. I don't think that would qualify me for a job as a chief scout for an NFL team.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

You've been watching "Numbers" on Friday nights, haven't you? :winker:

Good show.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Visteg....

So you're saying the passer rating is the best mathematical measure we have, which is probably true, but it's nowhere near good enough to accurately predict a future NFL career. Nor can you base a players success on awards, trophies or bowl games won.
    ----------------------------------------------

I never used the passer rating for any college prospect to make any point. Where did i do that? The only time the passer rating came up was in reference to a pro player, pennington to illustrate that he was a good player. People here and elsewhere have tried to compare lienart to pennington in a negative way as if pennington sucked. He does not.

The only stats i used other than that was in one post, one post! That was to compare omar jacobs to leftwich to illustrate that jacobs was a pretty good college player. That's all! This arguement was never about stats! That came from the imagination of your friend prag.

This argument has never been about stats! It's about the fact that QBs taken with the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick have not been very good.

The only point prag made was that stats have to be taken in context. That isn't science! Do we take into account that jay cutler played his career at vandy and not florida? Of course we do but that is common sense not science. I never argued against that. Are mark bulger's passing stats with the rams bloated because he has good WRs? Yes but that is not science.

If someone has a methodology or formula that is superior for judging pro or college players i would like to see it.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Soxcat...

Personally, I think Cutler is the best Qb coming out in this draft.
    ---------------------------------------------

You said that prag never said he liked cutler more than lienart. So lienart is not in this draft? Those are his words.

All i did was illustrate the high bust rate of QBs taken in this same situation. I have repeatedly said that that alone would not be a reason to draft a guy. Repeatedly! All i want people to do is to look at other possibilities aside from this robotic mentality that we will draft young. There are other players out there you know.

What is pathetic about this thread is that here i am dissing young saying there may be better options and hardly a word in defense of drafting this guy. Nobody is saying why vince young is such a good pick at #3.
    Do i have to make your arguements for you?

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

For all we know Reese doesn't like Young at #3. Maybe the Titans are not real high on Leinart either. Certainly the Titans like one over the other and possibly they think one or both are well worthy of the 3rd pick. The whole argument is really simple. The Titans should not take a QB at #3 just because one of the two is there and we need a QB. However, if the one there is counted worthy by the coaching staff as a BPA AND a player meeting a need why not take them? Reese isn't going to reach IMO and take a guy who is the "2nd best" QB just because he is 2nd best but he will take Young or Leinart IF he feels they have the potential to be a solid if not great NFL QB. Looking at past drafts IMO will not sway their decision (and I doubt the QBs past relationship with McNair will wiegh in either) but what will sway their decision is if that player is worthy of being the #3 pick.

6. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

Tide, your whole analysis was using stats, not just the piece where you looked at the passer rating.

"sta·tis·tic Audio pronunciation of "statistic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (st-tstk)
    n.

1. A numerical datum.
    2. A numerical value, such as standard deviation or mean, that characterizes the sample or population from which it was derived."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar