A new strategy, trade down!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

true

but how important (in the grand scheme of things) is speed a LB?
    LB speed helps most in run defense, right ?
    while we weren't al that great in stopping the run, we did it better than stopping the pass.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

again.....

LB is a deep position this year
    and Tide even brought up a few FA's that might be available
    Cato June would be ideal

and in the draft :
    guys like Thomas Howard runs a 4.47 - how's that for speed? and could be had cheap. Him and D'Qwell would be fine additions
    one's an OLB and the other is an ILB
    LB Problem solved

AJ Hawk is one of those guys i've heard talk that he won't be as much of an impact player at the next level as he was at OSU

I'm not trying to knock Hawk, but I don't think he's what we need to spend our 1st round pick on

we MUST address the QB this year
    the sooner the better

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I disagree

I think anyone who watched the last 2 Rose Bowls would be eligible to make informed decisions about Young

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

2 games is awefully little to gauge a players future career in the NFL...

And about the Longhorns fans, what I meant was that they would obviously be biased and would not be likely to give an honest, objective opinion.

5. maximus

maximus Starter

Add the OSU-TX game and Vince's numbers and improvement from last year to this year, and anyone should realize that this guy has the potential to be a beast in the NFL

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

oh for heavens sake
    there's no need to nit pick here

you made a bad call saying UT fans opinions didn't count

VY played like a world beater in the 2 games that counted in his career. that's plenty enough to gauge for me
    if it's not for you, that's fine
    but if this guy can play like that in the playoffs / bowls, then why should it matter if he doens't play like Peyton the rest of the time

7. Nash

Nash Starter

I would love to see what Chow can do with VY..a great QB coach, a great athlete, some time to develop, I can get excited about that.. but this year we have to get a better running game and run defense...

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Puck,,,others

I''m not advocating trading up more than 1 or 2 spots. 3 at the absolute most. We want to still get a stud player and we want to be at least 90% sure that player will be available. I wouldn't want us to trade down significantly or else we can't determine how it will go. We want to be able to get the player we want. If we trade down to the 5th pick for example we can be almost 100% sure that hawk will be there and mario williams would be there. If one those guys is who we want.

There are 2 main reasons for trading up.
    1. We can get a higher value player. Meaning a player who has a higher chance at success at his position than young might have at his.

2. We trade up to get extra draft picks to better meet all our needs.

If we can't get better value with the 4th or 5th pick then why do it? That's why i would be against trading down to get another QB(cutler) or runningback where the risk level for failure is high. OTs are very reliable in the draft. Probably the most reliable position in the draft. You like mario williams? Fine because almost all the absolute best DEs over the last 20 years were drafted in rd one. He would be available.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Yes I likes me some Super Mario Williams, but I also like his counterpart - Manny Lawson who is capable of switching to LB (could play both) - granted he's more suited for a 3-4

I think the "next tier" of RB's (DeAngelo / LenDale) have a better shot at success in the pros than Bush (initially)

I guess my point is that LB (both OLB and ILB) depth in this draft is THICK, while QB is not

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

so you think our run defense is more critical than our pass defense ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar