A new strategy, trade down!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximus

maximus Starter

You dont trade up and get more picks unless your trade is with the Texans.
    I guess you mean trade down?

2. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Run defense is always more important than pass defense. Besides, linebackers make a contribution to both...

3. thnom

thnom Camp Fodder

I like you mention two of the better picks. What about Vick for LaDainian Tomlinson/Drew Brees? Yeh I'd easily take LT and DB over Overated himself anyday of the week. Akili Smith ("rare athlete"), Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf - all players who their respective teams wish would have traded down and got some value. Hell Akili Smith is the worst one. Cincinnati could have had the entire draft picks of the New Orleans Saints for Akili Smith who wanted Ricky Williams oh so badly. Didn't exactly work out for either side of the trade.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yes, we invested three picks in our pass defense last year in the draft. however, we didnt draft a linebacker.

at least last year our pass defence was bad because we had two rookie corners. our run defense was awful with veterans.

5. Look, I'm not saying "Take Youing or Leinart there no matter what the scouts say." I'm all for trading down if they don't grade out. But don't pass on a franchise QB just because other QBs have been busts. We aren't drafting Tim Couch or Akili Smith any more than we are Palmer or Manning.

McNair himself wasn't an NFL-ready player and we took him #3 overall (that worked out OK). I don't suggest playing any rookie QB year 1, but we're going to need to replace McNair eventually. If the scouts think Young, Leinart, or even Cutler grade out as being worth the #3 pick and we don't get a great trade-down value, I'm all for going QB.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

and that'll change by adding a rookie LB ?

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

maybe our defense was horrible because of our DC

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Good points but remember, Manning was almost not the #1 pick. Many thought Leaf was the better guy. If Bush wasn't in this draft we would have a similar scenario with arguments being made which one is better, Leinart or Young. For that matter which one is going to be the next Ryan Leaf?
    Also, it was Cincy that thought the same thing when they drafted Akili didn't they. If I was Cincy I probally would have traded down for a bunch of picks with the luck they have had in the draft.
    1992 #6 David Klingler
    1993 #5 John Copeland
    1994 #1 Dan Wilkinson
    1995 #1 Ki-Jana Carter
    1996 #10 Willie Anderson (finally a decent pick and at #10)
    1997 #14 Reinard Wilson (who)
    1998 #13 Takeo Spikes (another solid pick at #13)
    1999 #3 Akili Smith (Couch went #1 that year)
    2000 #4 Peter Warrick
    2001 #4 Justin Smith
    2002 #10 Levi Jones (surprise pick but turned out to be a solid pick)
    2003 #1 Carson Palmer

So for 10 years the only good picks for the Bengals were two #10 OTs and a #13 LB. Yea, I could see why they would trade out with CArson Palmer there for a boat load of picks. Heck, they have had more success when picking 10-13.

9. For all the complaining about how poor the odds of getting a good QB at the top of the draft, perhaps somebody should check out the odds of getting a good QB in round 2, 3, 4, etc. If it's 50/50 at the top of the draft, it has to just keep getting worse as you go on...

You can't just expect to find a Tom Brady in round 6 whenever you need a new starting QB. And you can't pick up a Jake Delhomme off the free agent list all the time.

Like I said, I'm fine with trading down. But only if the guys on the board at #3 are worth less (based on our scouting) than the option of trading down. I'm not going to say that any of the top QBs this year will or won't be great NFL QBs because I have no idea. But if the scouts think they will be great, you have to take them.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

the only 2 guys I can think of worthy trading down for are LenDale White and DeAngelo Williams
    we MIGHT be able to make due with a Omar Jacobs or Brodie Croyle or even Charlie Whitehurst later on ,but I don't feel as comfortable with them as I do Young

i just can't see any reason to trade out of #3
    especially not when the QB with the highest completion percentage and fastest 40 is staring you in the face

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar