A post not about Pacman. Drew v. Wade

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Feb 25, 2007.

?
  1. Keep Drew, let Wade go.

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. Keep Wade, let Drew go.

22 vote(s)
    53.7%
  3. Try to keep both.

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. Neither are that important.

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gunny....

Who said to over pay for him? I'm suggesting we pay him like any other 700 yard WR in this market.

Last year the market for a 700 yard WR was $5M. We know that because that is what we paid for givens. This year the market is probably a million dollars more because there simply isn't much to pick from.

Why would you take unusual circumstances that contradict each other and assume that as the norm? Are you incapable of logical thought?

Derrick mason is hardly a normal everyday situation. And doesn't the fact that it took him until his 4th season to produce contradict your notion that a rookie can be EXPECTED to perform at a high level?

2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Eric Moulds got dumped yesterday. I'd rather sign him for a year than commit to Bennett for four or five.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Rookie WRs..

Average production from the top 10 WRs picked in the 2006 draft.

14 catches.....198 yards. Of those 10 Wrs only 3 had more than the average in yards and only 2 holmes and jennings produced drew bennett like numbers. Only 4 had double digit receptions and 2 of the rookies didn't have even one catch.

Among the top 5 Wrs taken the average was 23 catches for 333 yards.

If we take the top 10 WRs drafted and add colston's numbers into the mix the average is still only 278 yards each.

But it is reallly not about averages. What we know is that only three rookies out of the 30 Wrs drafted were significantly productive in 2006. 10%. Among the top 10 picked the number increases to 20%.

We don't need to be using our first 2 picks on Wrs to fill a hole left by drew bennett. We need defensive help and it is looking more and more like CB will be a big need area.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Excellent post RollTide. :thumb:

5. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

What about Colston? I know I'm getting a bit picky, but his numbers (70-1038) were much greater than Bennett's (46-737), and Colston missed two games, so I don't know how you can ignore him.

I do realize that Colston is the exception, not the rule, but when you're quoting the stats of all rookie WRs, you can't leave the best out.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

For every Colston are 50 guys who generated under 200 yards of offense their rookie seasons. If the Titans are going to do much in the passing game, it'll be with players currently on the roster.

Another point, remember who created this offense. The TEs generated more yards receiving than the WRs with a better passer in '05. If Troupe is back, he and Scaife will be key to the passing game. Kinney is a question mark but could impact here as well.

I expect White will also become more of a threat next season. And if Henry isn't back, I could see the Titans bringing in a RB with good hands.

Spend the money on defense. The Titans offense isn't going to start playing long ball just because they draft a WR early.

7. I bet that if the Lions cut Mike Williams, he'll seek out Norm Chow. I don't know how much of a contributor he can be, but Chow knows what he is capable of...

And as far as the draft, last year's was very weak at WR. The top 10 WRs lasted until almost the 4th round (I'm not counting Devin Hester as a WR). And Holmes was the only 1st rounder at #25.

This year is a very strong WR draft, and a top 10 WR should easily be a 1st or 2nd rounder. In 2005, there were 11 WRs drafted in the first 2 rounds, though I'd have to go back and look at their stats to see how they did.

8. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I agree completely, in fact, I was saying right after we drafted Vince (not on this board because I wasn't a member at the time) that our TEs would make Vince's transition a lot easier than it would have been with most other teams. With those guys back next year (hopefully) WR is not as much of an issue as it seems at face value, but I still think we need to leave the first day of the draft with a good reciever just because of how little we have there.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Scratch Erron but we should be good at TE if Troupe is ready to be more consistent.

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

big if on Troupe since he hasn't been that consistent since he has been here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar