A simple solution to 'natural delay'

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky </em> <p>I have a strong opinion on the "natural delay" that Ravens-Titans referee Terry McAulay says is built into a delay of game call.</p> <p>We hit on the controversy in Saturday's game <a href="/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-374/Referee-explains-non-calls-that-helped-Ravens.html" target="_blank">here</a> and <a href="/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-376/Tennessee-s-take-on-two-controversial-calls.html" target="_blank">here</a>.</p> <p>If the back judge watches the play clock, and when it hits zero then finds the ball and judges whether it's been snapped, wouldn't an alteration of the protocol ensure no further potential for mistakes?</p> <p>Instead of starting to look for the ball when he's seen the clock go to zero, why doesn't he look for the ball when the clock hits one? He can count to one while he finds the ball, and be in a better position to judge if it's snapped on time, don't you think?</p>

More...

2. RavensDan

RavensDan Guest

Now that makes just a little too much sense, the NFL could never do such a thing.

3. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Yep......try it, how long does it take you move your head or your eyes from the scoreboard to the field......1/4 second maybe?

I call BS on the NFL's explanation. But it's history now.

4. RavensDan

RavensDan Guest

At least the NFL is consistent. This same situation happend to both the Ravens and the Dauphins last week and neither time was delay of game called. The announcer (I can't remember who it was) gave the same explination that the ref gave last night.

5. Titans256

Titans256 Starter

I think as long as the fans (the reason why the nfl is so successful) keeps with the "it's history" attitude, the league will continue to have bad officiating.

As much money as we contribute by ticket sales, merchandise, time & effort...we deserve more. Not just as Titans fans, but as NFL fans.

Goodell had damn well better demand improvements...or these phanton non-calls and Hochuli incidents will keep happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar