A Titans offensive stat that says it all

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

In my frustration last week, I mentioned how poor the Titans were on first down and how Young doesn't appear to be consistent enough yet to deal with so many second and third-and-long situations. I listed every first down result to show how poor they've done.

The Tennessean had this in one of their articles today:

"On 374 first downs on offense, the Titans have gained no yards or lost yards 100 times."

That's 26% of every play the Titans run on first down getting nothing or worse.

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I haven't looked it up but I would guess that another 40-50% of our 1st down plays are for 3 yards or less. We have been pitiful on 1st downs this season.

3. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

And by being so conservative, it puts VY in a tough spot to create plays when we need them. We need to get positions where see more 2nd and 5 or so situations instead of 2nd & 10s.

4. desfletcher316

desfletcher316 Occasional visitor

Yep,we suck on 1st down.Just to damn predictable.Hopefully Chow goes and this all gets sorted out.

5. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

Eh, we're not too good on, 2nd, 3rd and 4th downs either..lol

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

That sounds very bad. I'd like to see other teams stats for 1st down.

7. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

hope so, but I'm thinking it's going to take a lot more than just Chow leaving

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

It's not chow!

Fisher wants to run on 1st down. Fisher would rather we run the ball twice for just 2 yards a pop and go to third and 5 or 6 than to risk a possible third and long. Fisher has the head phones on and is communicating the whole time with chow. There is no way chow is doing that all on his own. That's not the way he coached anywhere else he has been. It's got to be fisher.

Secondly i don't care how damn predictable the trends are on first down there is no excuse for us to perform that badly. We need to get that 2-3 yards. Even with 8 guys in the box a good running team will get some yards.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Desflecther..

When has chow ever been a predictable run on first down OC before coming to the titans? Never. Not anywhere. At brigham young i bet they threw 50% on first down. So what possible reason would you think that it is all his idea to run every first down? Historically chow is the more open guy in terms of offensive philosophy than fisher.

This offense has jeff fisher's fingerprints all over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar