Adrian Peterson thinks getting $10 mill a year is akin to ...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by MrBean, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

You don't really know what analogy means do you? It doesn't mean two things mirror each other. It means there is a similarity that can draw a comparision. Adrian Peterson is being used to make lots of money for "the man" (as is pretty much everyone of any employment value -- I bring in millions of dollars to my company and make a very average salary) and if he choses to stay in his given field of employment, he has no choice of where he works (most likely unlike you and I).

I'm not saying that you or I should agree with the analogy (I would never in a million years use it.), but it is a reasonable analogy to make and has been made many many times.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I see the NFL as being no different than any large corporation with various branches. Employees are often asked to move to another city or lose their jobs.

When quitting is an option, it's stupid to compare any job to slavery.

3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

...except that you can go to a comparable place wherever you want, if they'll have you. Hence, the threat of anti-trust suits.

I just don't get the "They already make good money and things could be a lot worse, so they shouldn't try to maintain their benefits, increase safety, etc" thought process. The players are willing making concessions and it isn't like the WNBA players threatening to strike when the NBA was clearly subsidizing the league.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TitanJeff

The UFL and CFL kill the anti-trust argument, IMO.

There's an article today where Jason Babin says he might go play in the CFL. I'm betting the NFLPA cringed when reading that.

5. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

AP was trying to emphasize the principle in his point (not actually comparing his salary to slavery), but horrible choice of words and bad timing too...with what just happened in Japan.

6. TitanJeff

You mean the Godfrey tweet? Big difference, IMO. Godfrey is a comedian who has to resort to these jokes in poor taste to get noticed for more than being the voice for a parrot or duck.

7. GeronimoJackson

Am I missing something? What do the Gottfried tweets have to do with AP?

8. TitanJeff

I thought in mentioning Japan you were referring something he tweeted which was considered by most to be in poor taste just as many had criticized what AP said.

I didn't understand your reference to Japan and how it made AP's comments any worse.

9. GeronimoJackson

Oh, no. I said it was bad timing because no matter how the lockout plays out, at the end of the day, no matter how much AP moans, he will be a multi-millionaire that drives one of his $100,000 cars to his mansion, while not just counting the death toll, a crap load of people in Japan will be without even a shack. So it's gonna make people that much more cynical.

10. TitanJeff

Gotcha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar