Adware and application tracking cookies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by titanfantilidie, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanfantilidie

titanfantilidie Starter

Noticed I had been picking up and unusually amount of these so I scanned my computer then came directly back to this site and had picked up 36 total threats. Just thought I'd pass this along.You need set the site up to clear the cookies when you leave it automatically.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If you have a report of some kind, can you send it to me? This has to be via one of our advertisers and I will take it up with them or drop them.

3. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I'm not sure you know what a cookie is. A cookie is a harmless piece of temporary data that is put on your PC from a website.

In PHP, there are two types of cookies:

Session Cookies and Persistent Cookies. Session cookies expire (delete) when you navigate away from a site. Persistent Cookies delete after a predetermined amount of time. Cookies themselves do not cause malware.

You are correct that third party ads on websites can and do produce malware but from what I've seen... Most malware is obtained by watching videos online. What I do is I use Mozilla Firefox and I have installed the WOT (Web Of Trust) plugin that puts a green dot beside links that are clean of malware and puts a red dot beside any link that is suspicious. Even if a site has a bad reputation, WOT will alert you of this before the page loads. You could also use AdBlockPlus for Firefox but for the sake of keeping this site running, I would recommend that you disable that on this site. IMO if looking at the ads will keep this site running, then it is well worth it.

From what I've seen, Malware preys on alot of exploits within Microsoft Internet Explorer. The newest versions of IE are good, but many companies refuse to upgrade past version 6 for whatever reason and IE6 is a pretty insecure web browser and I wouldn't recommend it for home use.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar