AFI re-ranks the top 100 American films

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by titanbuoy, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

How is LOTR a nerd flick?

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

:biglaugh:

Oh, seriously?
    Gee, I dunno,
    never heard of LOTR and nerds linked together...
    :sarcasm:

[​IMG]

3. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

The Godfather was just on television. Man that movie never gets old.

4. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

The Shining, great movie

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

That Frodo and Sam pic is pretty funny...
    I'm sure Tolkien never even heard the word "nerd". Christopher Lee said LOTR are his favorite books of all time and I'd certainly never call him a nerd..

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

ok, thanks for answering. :rolleyes:

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

gunny, im guessing from your avatar that you've seen clerks II, right? remember that whole scene when the LOTR nerds got into a fight with the star wars nerd? yeah, that's how they're linked.

big time language warning

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0sc-gS9AqM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0sc-gS9AqM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

his analysis is spot on, IMO.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I actually haven't seen Clerks II

9. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Ichi the Killer was brutal… I don’t mean bad, just literally brutal. I bought it off eBay on a friend’s recommendation, it was actually the first Miike flick I’d seen. I picked up Ley Lines, Audition and Fudoh since.

I know what you mean regarding Lynch. I’ve been a fan since Blue Velvet/Twin Peaks (which came first??? I can’t recall at the moment and am too lazy to check). Although perhaps Mulholland Drive traveled down a familiar path to longtime Lynch fans I thought the director was at the top of his game. When a director can make a film that on the surface appears more palatable to mainstream audiences, yet manages to maintain the depth and complexities of their more inaccessible, “artistic” works (Lost Highway for example) I think it’s a far greater achievement. For me Mullholland Drive works on all levels, where some of Lynch’s work can get dangerously close to becoming exercises in style.

I watched Young Frankenstein at the theatres when I was a kid. It’ll always hold a special place in my heart. "Put the candle back." :ha:

I’m entirely ignorant of the magazine Rue Morgue or the events surrounding it. I know there are a lot of films being shot in Ontario but I had no idea that it’s a hot spot for horror.

I have a few friends who worked on the cheapo indie flick “Harry Knuckles and the Treasure of the Aztec Mummy” by Lee Demarbe here in Ontario back in the 90’s. If you ever have a chance to see it you should check it out. It’s ½ an hour of campy horror goofiness. Harry Knuckles was kind of a cult hit and Demarbe went on to make the bigger budgeted, yet less impressive “Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter” (great title), and the sequel to Aztec Mummy, Harry Knuckles and the Pearl Necklace (lol another great title).

Gunny, being a fan of the LOTR books back in the day left you open to all kinds of barbs from your friends. Because it treats such fantastical things so sincerely it’s an easy and seemingly irresistible target. It’s tough to defend and the more you tried to explain why elves and hobbits weren’t the stuff of geekdom the more you dug your own grave. :geek:

10. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

If I had to pick, I'd go with Star Wars, because the characters are much more interesting. Both movies have good themes tho. They explain how evil comes to be from good people. And that's no easy task, but I think the Star Wars characters have more depth. The only chracter with real depth in LOTR is the changed hobbit seeking the ring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar