After the Bye

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by acqua7, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

I know this has been talked upon in various threads but our 1st half schedule is absolutley ROUGH. I think coming out of 3-4 (Locker injury aside) We're looking good for the 2nd half run. We've played 6 of the top 8 D's so far and after the by we play 7 teams in the lower half in D.

The only thing we have definatley shown is that we are NOT an elite team. We are an above average team looking to take that jump into elite (which I don't think will come this season) Although our record is 3-4, you have to believe we will beat the majority of these teams in the 2nd half of the season.

Week 1 v Steelers (2-4) Total Defense Rank: #6
    Week 2 v Texans (2-5) Total Defense Rank: #1
    Week 3 v Chargers (4-3) Total Defense Rank: #22
    Week 4 v Jets (4-3) Total Defense Rank: #4
    Week 5 v Chiefs (7-0) Total Defense Rank: #5
    Week 6 v Seahawks (6-1) Total Defense Rank: #2
    Week 7 v 49ers (5-2) Total Defense Rank #8

AFTER Bye:

Week 9 v Rams (3-4) Total Defense Rank #21
    Week 10 v Jaguars (0-7) Total Defense Rank #27
    Week 11 v Colts (5-2) Total Defense Rank #17
    Week 12 v Raiders (2-4) Total Defense Rank #12
    Week 13 v Colts (5-2) Total Defense Rank #17
    Week 14 v Broncos (6-1) Total Defense Rank #29
    Week 15 v Cardinals (3-4) Total Defense Rank #16
    Week 16 v Jaguars (0-7) Total Defense Rank #27
    Week 17 v Texans (2-5) Total Defense Rank #1 - this will drop by the time we see them for sure with Cushing out for the year.

I really think 7-2 rest of the way is well within the realm of possibilities - this is a big assumption, but if our D keeps up their good play - our O will naturally have to be better against these lower ranked teams. Not to mention the run game (although a smaller sample size) was working well with Schwenke there.

I wish the bye was this past week but this week 8 for the bye isn't a bad spot - gives times for us to get back to 100% healthy and refocus our game, cutting down on the absolutley stupid penalties and ST gaffes.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Yep, 7-2 has to be the goal with the only losses coming to @ INDY & DEN.

3. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

We can beat the Broncos. Especially at home. We just have to air it out. Remember, the Broncos have the worst passing defense in the NFL. If we let Locker loose I think we can take them.

4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

9-0 the rest of the way. 12-4 will win the division.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

After the beat down yesterday, I'm looking for a silver lining as the Titans enter the bye week.

Releasing Reynaud is a positive sign that this coaching staff isn't going to sit on their thumbs without trying to find answers. Inserting Schwenke looked like the right move so let's discuss what other things needs to happen in order for the Titans to come out strong after the bye.

I'm sure there are some things we can look at on the defensive side but I think the main issues are with the offense so that's the focus of this.

1. Make Shonn Greene the primary RB and reduce CJ's role as we know it now. Use CJ more like a Sproles, Bush and Charles by getting him the football in space.

2. Find an identity. Who are the Titans from an offense standpoint? Smash-mouth run team obviously isn't getting it done. Time to insert some creativity in the playbook that generates mismatches with motion, misdirection, etc. I'm not talking a high-risk style but I don't see defenses being fooled by anything the Titans are doing.

3. If Stewart doesn't get healthy during the bye, then it's time to look at Stingily. Though having a C, RG, RT all with little experience spooks me, Big Country isn't getting it done. And I evaluate Warmack. If he's not showing improvement, maybe you look at plugging Spencer in there. They just shook up the OL inserting Schwenke so why not make any additional changes now?.

4. Utilize Walker more. I understand the injury in camp set him back but it's time for him to become the reliable TE this team has lacked for some time.

• High Five High Five x 4
  6. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

I think if the run game gets fixed, all else will fall into place. The defense will get more rest, and will open up some good passing lanes for Jake. Easier said than done howevero_O.

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Facing the 30th ranked run defense in the Rams and then the 32nd ranked run defense against the Jags should be what this offense needs to get its swag back before facing the 26th ranked run defense of the Colts.

We have yet to play a good complete game this year which to me is exciting because we have hung tough with the top rated teams.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I guess 3-4 is really nothing to complain about, giving the brutal schedule we had to face. I think I am slightly bothered by 3-4, not because I think it's a bad record at this point and time, but the fact that we could be 5-2 easily.

I believe we make a huge run after the bye week. In my opinion Jake Locker will have to carry this team and from what I have seen, I think he is fully capable of doing it.

1. Locker continues to grow
    2. Defense maintains their level of intensity
    3. Like Jeff said, utilize Walker more. He can be special if used right.
    4. Hopefully the OL comes around.

Those will be the keys to success in my opinion.

9. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Yes. and it will be nice to "hopefully" get Greene back. Plus, the Rams lost Bradford for the season with an ACL...helps our cause a bit. I have no ill feelings for Bradford, he's a good kid, but what ever helps us in the process to get W's.

10. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

It looks like Clemens is their backup. Guy is not that good. Hopefully he starts in 2 weeks...in his 8 year career he has 7 Td's 13 Int's and has been sacked 46 times! Jesus please!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar