Akeem Ayers a TERROR so far?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dtm586, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Okay when Ayers is mentioned it's always negative about either his speed or tackling ability but here is what makes him a 1st round pick talent. He's good against both the run and the pass, pretty good when pass rushing/blitz, great size and athleticism, and he creates big plays. Oh yeah he fills a need for the team as an OLB.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Well if we're looking at it for what it's worth...

He's been "impressive" to guys that already liked him in ONE WEEKs worth of half-assed practices.

Hell, just put in effort this week and you'll look better than most guys out there that actually know they can play.

But the problem with Ayers is his terrible tackling attempts. And what are they not doing in practice?... Tackling. So right now all he has to do is jog around.

Just wait. You'll see him pancaked by every RB that comes his way if he gets on the field. I just pray we have someone that steps up and doesn't let him in.

3. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

He is a first round talent. Obviously every year 1st round talents fall out of the round and the teams that draft them get a 'steal' (if the player pans out).

What's our track record with our second round picks? When we drafted him I was ecstatic. IMO, LBs are one of the harder positions to gauge for players coming out of college. Yeah, the phenom LBs are easy to spot, but the second and third tier linebackers is where it starts to get iffy when you try and access their skill-set and how it will translate to the NFL (especially not knowing what system them will be playing).

4. Deuce Wayne

My track record with our 2nd round picks?...

What's OUR track record with 2nd round picks?... This guy is the LB version of Senderrick Marks.

Ayers just isn't a good football player. He's got far more low-lights than highlights and his highlights look like flukes.

5. theprizdfighter

Watching some film on him the biggest thing I see (as need to improve) is Ayers getting off blockers and attacking the runner. Obviously at UCLA they moved him around a lot; we'll give him a home and he'll start off with minimal responsibilities on field.

6. theprizdfighter

Yes I made two quick edits to that post for spelling. But that wasn't one of them. Lose a contact?

7. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

I don't trust your talent evaluations at all, I have yet to see you make one comment that is not deluded by sheer pessimism and hatred for the moves our front office has made. Maybe you can at least be open minded about Ayers until we see him on the field for the first game. Also, you might want to trust the assessments of actually qualified and experienced coaches who know the game more than you do and are saying that they are impressed with him.

8. theprizdfighter

I agree you have to take players performances w/o pads with a grain of salt, but I think the 'hype' around Ayers will turn out to be correct.

9. Deuce Wayne

If I werent right with just about every player we've ever drafted, I guess you could say all this.

But the only player I was this strong on saying would suck was Vince Young.

Yeah. When it's easy, it's easy... sometimes scouts are just stupid.

10. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

You can say that, but I am going to take it with a grain of salt. I'm just saying I wouldn't trust your assessment of any players that we draft. You're entitled to have your opinion and I have mine. But i'm just saying that I don't know how a player is going to play on a new team and new system until I see them on the field in a real game when it matters. I just think you're being pessimistic and I won't say whether I think Ayers will succeed or fail until Week 1 is done with and I have seen his performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar