Alex Brown on trade block..any takers?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bigreese82, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The grass is always greener...

Please explain how Brown is 'a huge upgrade' over LaBoy? Simpler still...explain how he's even better?

OK, I'll save you the time...the point is not whether or not Brown is marginally better than LaBoy, the question is...is Brown a dominant DE (or do we think he'll be one by next year or so)? I'd say no.

He was the RDE on one of the best D's in the NFL and has had a DL that practically guarantees he's single blocked. And yet, he's not once posted double digit sack numbers?

I'm not a huge Bears fan so I don't know how many times he pressures the QB...but if you're given ideal situations to get sacks and you don't...I'm vary wary of thinking he'll become something he hasn't already.

And how is Brown better than a DE we could get in rnd 2 or 3? There are some good pass rushers in this league that went past rnd 2 or 3.

Only reason to give up a 2nd rnd pick if to get a good-dominant pass rusher. Brown isn't one (right now) and with LESS help at DL in Ten...it's even harder to believe he'd even perform as well as he did with the Bears (with a better supporting defensive cast). And I don't think it's a good idea to give up 3rd rnd picks for a marginal upgrade (at best). Wait for the Bears to release him or offer a 5th or 6th round pick (I'd take him for a marginal draft pick just so we could ensure getting him and keep his salary low). He's worth having in camp for competition and if he is better than LaBoy/Odom...you upgraded the position for a late round pick. That's worth it IMO.

Gut

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

"Swapping" is the increasingly prevalent informal bartering system in which participants in Internet communities trade items of comparable value on a trust basis.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

The Jets and Bears 'swapped' picks in the Thomas Jones trade...so there is another definition (I think it's the 5th one...second paragraph).

I wouldn't mind swapping Pacman for Jared Allen!

Gut

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

dont take this the wrong way but...have you been drinking?

5. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

i think we should def upgrade our DE posotion...give up a conditional pick.....but if not..i'd be down to give them a second for alex smith....an a 3rd for kris jenkins...than add K.johsnon...and than we'll hv some serous compeition...man that would be so nice....our line would amazing..one of the best..and thats where it starts

KVB, Jenkins, Haynz, and Brown....wow...whats not to like....

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Haha...

'Unfortunately,' no I haven't been drinking.

But look at it this way...

Both Allen and Pacman are emerging stars at there positions. While DE is a much more important position compared to CB, Pac's return skills are electirc and can help close the gap. The benefit to the team getting him (besides having traded away Dante Hall) is that Pac is also not too expensive right now. We, on the other hand would have to open the check book and get a long term deal done so that brings Allen's 'avlue' down just a bit.

Both players will miss part of the season and are 'flagged' players.

The difference is...we have covered our CB concerns (especially if Griffin can play CB and Scott/Lowry/Fuller can play FS) and you can always find a cheap but good returner. It is HARD to find a dominant RDE...and that would be MORE of an upgrade to our roster than Pacman.

Of course, trading Pacman isn't my first choice...but I would do that deal...especially since to 'fix' Allen's problems we get him a permanent car service. Pac has more depth to his issues...making him a riskier player.

Plus...Add Allen and put Griffin at FS over the top and Hill might be an adequate CB. And the back 7 all become better vs the pass. Add Pacman instead of Allen and LaBoy is still not an adequate DE and we still don't have much of a pass rush.

Gut

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I agree with Key and Jenkins...but Alex Brown is a marginal upgrade.

Under ideal conditions (playing with a good DE and 2 very good DT's), Brown has never gotten 10+ sacks. That's not good. He's a nice player, but he's not an impact player. If we're gonna give up a 2nd or 1st rnd pick...you better get impact back because that is exactly what will be drafted with that pick next year. I think Brown is a nice DE...but not what we need.

First and foremost, we need dominant pass rusher and preferably someone who can also at least hold there own vs the run. Allen is a double digit sack guy who is one of the top tacklers at DE and plays the run very well. He also has a knack for causing fumbles. Turnovers are GOOD for a D!!!

Sing Key, trade a 3rd (and a DT like Long) for Jenkins, then trade a 2nd + for Allen.

We'd have to get our cap in order and defer some of there bonuses til next year (and then cut guys like Thompson to free up more space next year), but we'd have all the talent we need to compete...at LEAST for the playoffs.

Gut

8. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I'd like that but it would never happen unfortunately. Psssssssssst...our GM is MR.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Gut

I'd say Alex Brown is a notch better than LaBoy if for any other reason he seems to stay healthy. He also is a little better at playing the run. He is a guy who can be counted on to be out on the field and is solid but not spectacular.

Also, Brown's 7 sacks last year don't tell the whole story about how well he played last year. He split alot of time on passing downs with Mark Anderson (12 sacks) which is why he is expendable for the Bears. His 7 sacks could have been double digits last year if he had all the reps. The thing is Anderson played so well they couldn't keep him off the field.

I'd easily give up a 3rd rounder for Brown and might even consider a 2nd rounder. Sure you can say we can get a better pass rusher in the draft but didn't we draft 2 guys in the second round (and one in the 4th) and Brown is better than those guys. Assuming you can just draft a guy as good as Alex Brown is ridiculous. We would be lucky if we drafted 2nd round DEs two years in a row to get one guy as good as Brown. Those are simply the odds.

The more important issue is how much money does Brown want on a new contract. I'd much rather have a proven vet any day than an unknown draft pick.

Now let me shift gears and talk about Jarred Allen. You made the statement that LaBoy was basically as good as Brown. Couldn't almost the same thing be said of Allen? Granted Allen is a notch above Brown but he does have his behavior issues and when you look at his production can you seriously say he is a true "double digit sack guy"? His sack totals for his career are 9,11 and 7.5. Thats an average of 9 sacks a year. Brown averages 6-7 per year judging by his production the last three years. The thing is if I can get Brown for a 2nd or 3rd rounder but have to give up a 1st rounder or Pacman for Allen, not to mention the higher salary Allen is going to command then I think Brown might be the better value.
    Add in that getting Allen or Freeney could be on the same order as a pipe dream (especially Freeney) and we could have Brown here tomorrow if we offer the Bears a 2nd rounder now.

10. talldrinko

talldrinko Guest

lets make the trade

i say we trade david thorton & since they will lose briggs next year.
    they might be down for it,losing thorntons contract would free up money to sign brown long term,

i dont know whos gonna replace thornton,maybe tulluck or fowler can move outside or gardner 3rd rd pick from colts we picked up,plus we have nade & toone rooks last year,or play ford our 6th rd pick at olb on pass downs to put pressure on the qb.has reynolds or woods played outside .
    we could also pick up a vet after cuts .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar