Alex Smith

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Johnnyrex, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnnyrex

Johnnyrex Starter

Everybody is bringing their choice for the new Titans QB, so I will bring my... Alex Smith.

"Many often wonder how Alex Smith would have panned out if he had a stable offensive coordinator for his entire career, but he’s been plagued by offensive changes like no other young quarterback. He’s looked okay in short bursts, but hasn’t been able to sustain success."
    Roshan Bhagat - www.footballsfuture.com

Let me explain why I think he could be a really good QB here:

- Experience Young QB (26 yrs) with a lot of games played (54 games).

- Last two seasons with 82.1 and 81.5 in QB rating.

- Last two seasons with 32 TD's and 22 Interceptions.

- By no means he is a VY or Vick, but he has some runs. Sure runs faster than KC.

- Has seen many Offensive Playbooks because he never had stable offensive coordinator. (+ experience)

- In his last 4 games posted 130.9 and a 107.8 QB ratings with a 98,9 average.

- He is a free agent so the titans don't need to give up picks for him.

Smith doesn't have super numbers on his stats sheet, but has a lot of games under his belt and IMO this guy is at that point where he will start rolling.
    I would like to see Alex Smith, KC and Rusty as the new QB's group. Also like Alex Smith, Marc Bulger and Rusty.

So what do you think?

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. OhioTitan

OhioTitan GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!

It's official, we have hit rock bottom

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Alex Smith should be brought in. I just want to bring him in and another qb in, and send KFC to the house! Smith has tons of talent and needs a new enviroment much like VY.

I think it makes tons of sense. He is free ( no compensation) and limited risk with nice upside. I cannot watch KFC another year!

4. Sir_Titan

Sir_Titan Day 1 Titan

I would take Smith before Quinn, Hasselbeck, or any other turd brought up in the past couple of weeks. Not saying it would work out but he would stand a better chance than them.

5. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a look-see. He's got the tools, can we finally give him the instruction manual?

Honestly, I would like to see him or McNabb under center in 2011.

6. QGP

QGP MIKE HONCHO

I remember when I had my first beer

7. That Guy

That Guy Rookie

Maybe we can sign Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith & Cade McNown.

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Never been a huge fan of Alex Smith. His career stats are nothing but barely average: 51 TDs, 53 INTs, QB Rating 72.1. His last two years however.. have been decent: 32 TDs, 22 INTs, 4720 Yards.. in 29 starts. He's got decent size, average speed (needed to extend plays & get outside the pocket at times), decent arm, still young but has exp., just has struggled on the 49ers. However, him and Vernon Davis did have a good connection, maybe him and Cook could get that connection :). The Titans have a better RB, WR group, and Pass OL. I say if we miss out on McNabb, Smith should be our #2 Option (sadly).

9. Johnnyrex

Johnnyrex Starter

REALLY???...Ok!!

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I've been overlooking him, but this is the type of guy that we should be considering. Everyone we look at will be a "turd" in some respect. But some of them will have good reasons for a shaky past... like you said - the 49ers haven't exactly put him in the best situation to be successful. Considering that he could do well with a change in scenery.

The good news is that TN isn't the offensive Siberia that it once was. A decent QB isn't going to avoid us like the plague with some of the weapons we have now. All we have to do is decide which available QB is actually decent under the hood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar