All these accusations about Fisher are ridiculous..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Too bad GM's never get fired after one year.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

:rolleyes:

Reading all this hate of MR makes me sad to be a Titans fan. Maybe judgement on his ability should actually wait for the season to be played? I know that's a crazy idea.

How I miss the days of Floyd Reese overpaying hacks and locking the door on fan favorite players and trading away former NFL MVPs for 4th round picks. We were so much better off then.

3. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Hey, at least Reese drafted Vince Young, even if there are rumors that it was Bud's call. Mike has made all of the wrong moves and non moves so far in my estimation. I liked a few of his later round picks, but imo, he completely botched the first 2 rounds and probably the 3rd as well.

4. Alex1939

Well I disagree, but we'll have to see the season played to know who is right.

I'm thinking in a couple of seasons we'll be glad not to have thrown big money at Stalloworth and Clements. I'm also thinking we won't be feeling the Travis Henry loss.

Griffin will be a pro-bowler, Harper will be a good 3 year starter for Titans. And either WR Williams or RB Henry will turn into something.

BUT, I could be completely wrong.

Oh, and I shouldn't really be completely hating on Floyd Reese, he did a lot of good things for the Titans. I think he screwed a lot up though, particularly mismanaging the salary cap the last few years. The Steve McNair lockout is legendary, and I would say a lot of that blame falls to Reese.
    He was definately right about Vince and I'm glad we made that choice since he was the QB of the three I wanted.

5. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

aaaah... paul williams the freak..
    He'll be an immediate contributor maybe as early as next season.

I can't wait to see what he can do.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LOyYVnN4bTs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LOyYVnN4bTs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

6. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Too many of you forget the success we had under Reese. Yes the last few years were not successful, but that happens to a lot of teams. The league is cyclical for the most part. (yes there are exceptions but not that many). With Reese we went to a Super Bowl, two AFC Championship games, and the went to the playoffs four times in a 5 year span. With Young on the team and a solid young core, the future looked bright. I have no problem with firing Reese, even though I am not sure he really deserved it. I also think we should wait a few seasons before we judge MR. We won't and can't know how he has done for at least two years. You people who want him fired now are unrealistic and irrational.

7. Alex1939

It's not really that I forget the success we had with Floyd Reese, it's just that I remember the aftermath of that success. Not many other teams have to lose EVERYBODY and go through the public drama with McNair and other players.

Really, when it comes down to it, I think when the Titans treated Godfrey so poorly that stuck in a lot of players minds about how the Titans will operate with them. That I blame on Floyd.

He put together the great team which I give him credit for. But then I also blame him for the collapse and cap results. Yes every team loses players. But, the Titans seem to have their own dramatic and financially irresponsible style of doing so.

Oh and this thread is supposed to be about Fisher sabatoging the team?? Does anyone really think that?? Cause that's crazy and impossible to believe.

8. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Yes that was cheap what he did to Randell.
    If you recall, part of Lamont Smith's argument against restructuring Eddie's contract a few years back was the Godfrey issue..

He lost tons of credibility there.

9. Nine

Nine Starter

If anyone "sabotaged" the team, it was Reese. His contracts and cap-related decisions were the single biggest factor in the team's decline. With the way the money was handled, there was no way they could sustain a strong roster year after year. They got the best players available, kept the core group intact, and rode it for all it was worth until the inevitable crash in '05.

In Reese's defense, he never tried to disguise this strategy; in fact, he spoke openly about it. As far back as '03, he said repeatedly that they couldn't keep manipulating the cap forever, and that the crash was coming.

The idea that Fisher is sabotaging the team is simply ridiculous. He's made a number of unpopular decisions over the past couple years, some of which seem almost inexplicable....but to think that he's deliberately setting the team up for failure is simply laughable.

I'd like to hear some specific examples where Fish has deliberately sabotaged the team.

The only two examples I can think of are his decision to bench Volek the week of the season opener, and the decision to keep Lamont Thompson on the field when he had clearly become a liability.

For the record, I disagreed vehemently with both decisions...but in both cases, I think I understand Fisher's thinking. I don't agree with it, but two bad decisions is hardly what I'd call sabotage.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The whole concept is assinine..

There is no conspiracy fisher and reese were just average at their respected jobs.

Without a long term deal fisher would be suprememly motivated to impress so he can go elsewhere for bigger money in 08.

Plus i have enough confidence in fisher and reese as men to know that neither would ever want to lose on purpose. The only attitude issues with fisher occured in 05 when after losing several quality players and basically quitting out of frustration from day one. It's obvious that fisher blamed reese for the recent lack of success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar