Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Yesterday, 1-9-15, the Tennessean had a story "Time To Tinker With Budget". The story broke down this years players with expiring contracts. One of these players was Griffin. The same player that Whiss stated was one of our better players. Inside the story, they spoke of Griffin, "who had his ups and downs this season, registered 115 tackles but surrendering some big plays". Hence the nickname, Wiffin!
    Todays Tennessean, Griffins name pops up yet again. "Top Tackle Sees Titans Going Down Right Path". Basically, it s a story about Woodyard. After singing praises about Woodyard, they go on to say, "also missed 14 tackles, according to Pro Football Focus, which ranked for second most on the team behind safety MICHAEL GRIFFIN".
    Where is the mentality? The best word I can come up with for Griffin is mediocre. Or, we can't find anyone better. The person Whiss has said was one of his better players "surrendered some big plays" and is LEADING in missed tackles. Calling Griffin a good player should be an insult to Casey and a few others.
    If this is the thinking of the FO, we are doomed. Why would we consider re-signing Griffin even to a lesser contract?

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Griffin's contract is not expiring. Are you interpreting sports writers articles as the thoughts of the front office or are you just venting a little?

Woodyard said he doesn't want to see many changes. I think he's in for a shock, he might make the roster as a backup but if he survives the cuts he wont be a starter barring injuries.

Griffin will likeley get a pay cut or be gone as a post June 1st cut. Reality is with an effective pass rush and LB unit Griffin looks a whole lot better as does McCourty.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

With 2 wins, VENTING might be a good word.
    Im speaking of our mentality. Woodyard is our best tackler AND our second worse!

4. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Leading tackler. He had the most tackles, and thus was the leading tackler. You are reading to much into this.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Griffin always has a high number of missed tackles because he plays every snap, it's a volume thing. He also takes some piss poor angles but more times than not he's solid. But he's only solid at best, not a guy we should be building around.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I think basically every fanbase is critical of their safety play. You are playing in open space, so you are really exposed.

Realistically, I'm not sure we can upgrade.... unless it is dumb luck.

7. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Lets also keep in mind that the whole idea of 50%+ turnover this offseason, like a lot of us wish would happen is unreasonable. When you take away the very bad players on our team, Griffin is still on the keep side. I hate this, but it is the reality for the now. I wish we could junk 75% of our roster but it simply doesn't work like that.

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

It's not uncommon for the leading tackler to also lead in missed tackles, both are a product of being in the right place at the right time. It's also not uncommon for safeties to be leading tacklers on bad teams.

9. RTH

RTH Meh...

The other thing we have to consider is we have to replace our bad players with better players... as many bad players as we have, we can't easily replace them all with better players.

Take some time to "replace the roster".

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

They need to cut Levitre, Oher, and Wimbley immediately. No questions asked. Hunter needs to have a reality check, step it up and fast, or MAYBE you are a #3/4 or cut....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar