Amazing numbers for 8...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Wingman, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

His play has been speaking pretty damn loud for some time now. Some people would just rather be right than enjoy the music.

2. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

He had a stretch of 4 0r 5 really good games. He has most certainly not outperformed every other QB outside of Tom Brady. He is about 5th or 6th of on the list of best QBs this season, which is fantastic for us, but still doesn't put him as the 2nd best QB this season.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Both of these are part of my stance on wait and see. MM has been awesome but still a small sample size overall and with a team that still hasn't been entirely repaired from bottom of the league.
    I can't say this guy will be an all time great or a bust after a couple years, but so far so good and rather than fight for or against, I want to continue letting his play speak for him.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

Enjoy and appreciate his play, we haven't had a good QB that has led our team to be enjoyable to watch, competitive and relevant in over a decade. It's December and we are in the hunt! This is ahead of schedule and I love it.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

You can use any example you want. It's possible I didn't read every single post in this thread, but I didn't see anyone say he played brilliantly or close to it.

And you can't have your cake and eat it too on the Mariota bash train. Playing well is not always about stats. He threw 2 balls that should have been TD's. Both were blatant pass interference on the D that wasn't called. That's not on Mariota but those 2 passes will only show up as incompletions. You act like you want to be fair but you are clearly not. And that's not to say you should be allowed to criticize the great Mariota. Criticize all you want. But if you're smart and want people to respect you, criticize what he's not doing well or doing wrong. But making blanket statements that are only half true because you like bashing him has gotten old fast.

I notice you have made no comments (that I have seen at least) regarding how well our WR corps played against a top notch defense. Were they great and wide open on every play and Mariota just couldn't find them like he was Mr. Magoo or something? Or were they not getting separation? What's your opinion on that? I noticed the guy you've been promoting Matthews had 1 catch. So is all the blame on Mariota's stats and we ignore the WR play and some blatant PI's that weren't called? Call those pi's like normal and twice we get the ball 1st and goal at the one. Pretty sure the way we were running that's 2 more TD's instead of fg's.

Or do we see the truth? Did Mariota have a great game? No. Did our WR's? No. Our passing game was inconsistent and we got away with it against an inept Denver offensive team. We also got away with it vs the Bears and twice we barely survived. But playcalling and second half adjustments were terrible in the Bears game and the fact that our D couldn't hold up is a major problem.

But these are team wide issues, not just let's blame the QB because the D couldn't stop them in crunch time. Ironically, you mention two games (three if you count Detroit) in which we needed wr's to litterally drop TD passes to win and yet your strategy in the draft is NOT to take a CB in round 1?

Hopefully you get the point. You bash guys you don't personally like and ignore the failings of players you do.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Please specify which are the 30% of throws Mariota can't make that Brady can? The problem is, you're barking up the wrong tree and you don't even know it.

Mariota has stood in against a free rusher and delivered a strike. Perhaps you're not paying attention.

See...you come up with things that aren't true to try and bash him instead of stating what IS true and talking about what he needs to improve.

Maybe you're just trolling...

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I would double high 5 this if I could!!! Very well put!!!

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I think they were saying he was outplaying everyone save Brady during that stretch of however many games. Denver and KC are good tests for him, our OL, our WR's, and our run game. So far, gotta be impressed with the OL and our run game. Mariota was able to just manage the game but we missed out on 2 pi's that should have given us probably two td's. But even if we had gotten them...pass game was too inconsistent. Mariota isn't going anywhere even though he too has improvement to do, but if the WR play doesn't pick up, it might indicate we may go after an upgrade in free agency or the draft.

Point is, Mariota has shown he CAN play to that level. Question is, can he do that more consistently? Russell Wilson is finding out what happens when your once dominant run game is no longer the centerpiece. A lot harder when you can't live in playaction passing.

But I agree, Mariota has already made a lot of strides and that's great for us! Now we need to see how far he can go...which may come down to time/experience, coaching, and giving him better weapons around him!

On a fantasy aside, my orthodontist got to the fantasy playoffs riding Mariota's big stretch. He got knocked out last week. I asked him Mariota? He said no, he lost because of Big Ben (he sat Mariota against Denver).

9. RTH

RTH Meh...

10. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Pro Bowler

Wait and see? Havent we waited long enough? Nothing wrong with enjoying the moment we are in RIGHT NOW. Im for damn sure going to keep gloating about my franchise QB.....man that sounds good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar