Analytics in Pro Sports

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tuckfro42, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I'm not speaking against analytics. I'm just not sure how in depth this article is...

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Is anyone surprised by this? The Titans are one of the least progressive franchises in all of sports. I'd be surprised if Ruston Webster has even heard of some of the advanced metrics the good franchises track, let alone knows how to exploit them.

Titans are only gonna fall further behind. Analytics certainly aren't everything, but they can give teams a big advantage when used properly and the Titans are willfully allowing other teams to have that advantage over them.

I dream of the day the team gets a forward-thinker in charge. Not holding my breath, though.

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Also, on the topic of teams like the Jaguars using analytics but still being bad...

Not all teams are going to know how to get the most value out of analytics immediately. At least they are already on the track of figuring it out, though. The Titans aren't even at that point.

4. XO

XO Nevada Native

I'll say yes the Jags are bad but as a franchise they are headed in the right direction.

I'd wager they will pass us on the field soon enough, oh wait.

5. UK_Titan_Zool

UK_Titan_Zool Special Teams Standout

Can someone tell me what you would use Analytics for in the practical sense.

My only knowledge comes from the film Moneyball and the fact they were buying runs etc.

I can see a practical sense in calling plays and using the playbook as a standard way of measuring whats working and what isn't depending on certain conditions.

For drafting players i'm not understanding..
    I honestly feel that most of the teams listen to NFL network and make their call from that.

I understand you could measure the physical attributes of a person and the character (even though this gets ignored if they have the talent)

We drafted the best running back player last year. (or at least that what was touted) then there was a rush on for drafting RB's. strangelyi can't see Analytics
    coming into play other than a rush on for RB's.

What do you guys think... then i may come to an understanding of what ESPN are doing other than talking rubbish like they normally do.

6. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

It doesn't take analytics to not have injured players. Here's a little secret that might help our organization. Quit drafting injury prone players aka Locker!

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

This stuff matters very very little if at all, but it could give the right team an advantage if and when we come to the technology that tracks players.

I made a thread about this stuff a while back, and since then nearly no progression has been made, which leads me to believe the 16 or so teams that completely ignore this stuff are right to do so.

Its over thinking things, and in sports the last thing you want is to over think.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

Heres how it would be used.

Some day many years from now the NFL will adopt a gps system that tracks how many steps a player is taking. The fastest way to a location is what? A straight line, but in football that means the least amount of steps. So in the future, teams will generate reports showing how many steps their WR's need to get open, and etc. Right now that practice exists in the form of time, we can clock how fast players are, but what we look passed is how many steps/how much energy gets exerted to perform said task. Some coaches will "eyeball" this, but thats hardily reliable information, it gets the job done for pass rushers, but one day it will become an exact science that more coaches can work with.

The technology is already out there, but the NFL just needs a reason to adopt it. And as information hungry as fans are becoming, I can absolutely see this being the future of sports, just not for a long time.

9. JCBRAVE

This is a cool but slightly boring read for anyone that plays Madden and cares about analytics, explains how and why players are rated as they are

How Madden Ratings Are Made | FiveThirtyEight

I seldom check out what fivethirtyeight.com is putting out, its always a slow read that I lose interest in quick, but usually pretty informative, too informative TBH.

10. UK_Titan_Zool

UK_Titan_Zool Special Teams Standout

there is the other side to it. I remember Chris Henry being this beast in draft
    but sadly as we found out he had no vision.

Chis Henry a victim of analytics ?

Titans must use something to determine optimal weight etc.

#20 UK_Titan_Zool, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar