Another SEC national title game?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ProfessorD, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

This is the attitude that leads to UF moving up after they play Jacksonville State. Get points for taking the field.

LSU, T&AM and South Carolina are allowed to lose two games and be ranked in the top ten, you know, ahead of other one-loss teams in FBS conferences because they play in the SEC.

It's laughable, really. Mississippi State was 11 because they played in the SEC, even though they hadn't played a conference opponent that was worth a damn. Then they lose three straight because they start playing teams without a direction in their names.

Teams are rewarded because they're in the same conference as Alabama and LSU.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Just because something sucks less than it did before, does not make the current system good by default.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Fry

Disqualify the Big East, which has already happened. Let the ACC disband, which is going to happen. Have four conferences with four championship games as the first round of the playoffs then seed the remaining teams.

Boom. Eight-team playoff. Nothing to complain about.

It will never happen though. Some schools will refuse to be a part of a conference with 16 teams because it will make getting to the NC game harder.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Clearly not the SEC that would be afraid as they proposed the next playoff system and were the first conference to have a championship game with many detractors saying they would never be another NC from the SEC.

The SEC is best with the most talent. If the BCS hasn't taught you this continue living your life ignorant and blind. Whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Fry

I think four 16-team conferences is pretty tough to do anyway. There aren't 64 teams worth mentioning in college football. Four ten-team conferences is the way to go.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

For Alabama or Georgia to make the championship game they have to win the sec. In short they will have earned it! Bama has to beat Georgia and Georgia has to beat Bama.

For Florida to get to the title game they would have to beat Florida St.

In short the 2 teams left with only one loss will have EARNED it!

Yes you could argue it is something of an injustice for Florida to be ranked 4th and Florida St. only 10th. But they play each other so who cares?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

They were talking on 104.5 how there is a possibility that Jimbo Fisher might want to come to Tennessee. Why? Because at Florida St. they can't play a respectful enough schedule to get to the national championship.

So the bcs has accomplished that. No longer can a team just go undefeated playing a weak schedule and expect to be ranked at the top. Now it's not Florida State's fault that the acc is so weak and that Miami's program is down. But in the sec that is never a problem.

Look at Bama playing Michigan in the first game. Why do you suppose they did that? They didn't know that Arkansas, Auburn, UT and Mizzu would all be down this year but without that blowout win over Michigan Bama is not ranked 2nd.

8. jdog

jdog I like beer!

I mentioned fisher 2 week ago but nobody took me seriously.

9. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

To be clear, my comments about Florida are not centered around the BCS system, but rather on the quality of college football this year. Florida is a solid team, but do they make sense as the number 2 team in the nation? Not really. Do I have anybody I'd place over them? Not really.

Last year, for instance, Alabama and LSU existed on a level of their own. No one in college football could mess with either of them (regardless of what whiney OSU fans say), they were clearly #1 and #2. This year, eh, Alabama is the best team in the nation, but they're a bit weaker than they were last year given the youth of that team (and how much they lost to the NFL draft), but after them... I dunno. I just think it's a joke that a team like Florida, that isn't really THAT great but has won a few impressive games, is in the running for the National Championship.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

A four-team playoff system needed to happen this season.

Notre Dame
    Alabama (assuming they win)
    Florida
    Oregon

ND vs. O
    Bama vs. Fla

Can you imagine the money those games make? It would rival the Super Bowl, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar