Another year, another BCS gripe

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TitanJeff, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's almost time to for the annual "why can't we have a BCS/Div-I College Football Playoffs system?" talk.

Despite the "these students would miss too much classroom time" BS, the other divisions appear to not have the same issues. Let's not kid ourselves. When you boil it all down, all who oppose it do so because of money. Div-I college football is a business.

These colleges against a playoff system feel it would reduce the importance of some regular season games. If a team had a spot in the playoffs locked up with two games left, it would render their remaining games meaningless. Coaches would rest their top players. Less fans, less revenue for the businesses around the college which depend on the football season revenue. Less money for the colleges who depend on football revenue to support their other sports programs.

The only other thing I can imagine as being an argument against a playoff system is having fans travel from playoff site to playoff site. That would be expensive.

What these short-sighted individuals fail to realize is the revenue an 8 or 16-team playoff would generate. The NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament generates $545 million in TV revenue alone. It's quite possible a Div-I college football playoff would eclipse this by hundreds of millions of dollars.

A playoff system could be a combination of home games for the higher seed and them use the current bowls. One of the better plans I've read is here:

http://whitwatson.sunsportstv.com/2006/11/division-i-football-playoff-realized.html

We can only hope one day enough people wake up and realize big this would be. I could see this being as big as the NFL playoffs if it were to happen.

2. All they really need to do is put together a 4 team playoff. Just take the top 2 bowl games and match 1-vs-4 and 2-vs-3. Then take both winners and put them in a championship game. Or even take 3 bowl games and the 3rd is the championship game.

And if this is successful, it's only a matter of time before it becomes an 8 team playoff. That's who the basketball tournament worked. It went from 16 to 32 to 64 (and now 65 for some stupid reason).

3. TitanJeff

The only problem I see in that is which four team do you take? The top two teams fell yesterday. I doubt either with be in the top four tomorrow.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I think the 4 team system would be adequate for most years, but this year is so crazy it would be difficult to even decide which 4 teams deserve it. There is still plenty of games left where maybe it will begin to work itself out, but I have a feeling that there might be 2 or 3 teams left out of the title game who have a reasonable argument to be there.

5. TitanJeff

I'd take a four-team playoff over what we have now.

6. Exactly. It may not be perfect, but it's better. And just having a playoff system in place means they can expand it.

7. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Not only would it make those games meaningless, but it also would make every game less meaningful for a team playing for the national championship.

If we had a playoff system in place during UT's 98 season would it have mattered so much if they dropped that overtime game to Arkansas or to Florida? What about the nail biter at Syracuse to open the season?

Depending on how wide a playoff field was in place, Tennessee could've dropped one, two, or maybe even all three of those and still have had a chance.

Maybe that's fair, but from a fan's standpoint I wouldn't want that experience of 13 straight playoff games taken away from me. This system isn't perfect, but there's no other way to achieve that.

I realize I'm in the minority and a playoff is looming regardless, just had to get that off my chest before the landslide of "here here's" takes off. :))

8. TitanJeff

The way I see it, each conference would have its champion in the playoffs with maybe 4-5 at large bids.

Though no one wants to reduce the importance of any regular season game, if only the champion is guaranteed to go, then you have to still win.

9. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Sure, you still have to have a very good season. I wouldn't argue that point at all, but UT could've lost to Syracuse and Arkansas that year and still come out on top of the SEC. Just something to consider.

10. TitanJeff

I'm not sure I follow. Unless UT wins the SEC, they wouldn't get into the playoff system unless they get an at large bid. With two losses, that likely doesn't happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar