Another year, another BCS gripe

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TitanJeff, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

With two losses and only one SEC loss and head to head wins against every SEC East team, I think they get an invite to the SEC Championship game in that 98 season.

2. Broken Record

Also, we could use this season as an example. If UT wins out their SEC schedule they'll get into the championship game with two losses.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

BCS sucks, nuff said.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Right. I think you are agreeing with me? ;)

In the BCS playoff system I mention earlier, UT would then make the playoffs with two losses. If they lost possibly once, but that was to a Florida team which went undefeated, they'd still likely get an at large bid to the playoffs.

So, IMO, every game on the schedule remains important. What it would do is probably cancel one game for each team. Though I wouldn't mind these teams giving up one of their glorified "practices" against a team that shouldn't be on the schedule in the first place, it hurts revenue overall and doesn't give the up and coming programs the opportunity to make a big payday.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Even with a playoff scenario we would still have the polls involved in some way. If we have a 4 team playoff or even an 8 team playoff teams couldn't afford to slack off any games or take a chance of being dropped out of the top 4 or 8. I'd set it up using the BCS like we have now but only to seat the top 4 teams. Ideally it culd be expanded to 8 teams down the road. Under that scenario no one would get a free spot in the playoffs and final rankings would determine the teams. The top 4 in the BCS play like Star said, 1-4 and 3-4 with a final championship game. If we had that scenario anyone think LSU's final games of the schedule are not important? Already having one loss means thay can't lose again or they will drop out of the top 4 even if they go on and win the SEC championship. Even making the top 8 isn't going to be easy with 2 losses.

At least with a 4 team playoff you eliminate that 3rd team which always seems to get screwed. No matter what you do there will always be some team that thinks they deserved to get in but didn't but a 4 team playoff is a heck of alot better than a 2 team playoff. Also, except for fans of particular teams I don't see bowl games having any importance at all anymore outside of the championship. The more Bowl games we can have that actually mean something is better for everyone.

6. Broken Record

I think we are agreeing that a two loss UT would have a shot at the national championship. What we are disagreeing on is that I don't think a two loss team should have a shot at the national championship.

7. TitanJeff

Does anyone think South Florida and Boston College are the second and third best college football teams in the nation just because they are undefeated?

8. Broken Record

Every game is a playoff for those fans...

9. TitanJeff

I hear ya. But the current system will have South Florida playing in the National Championship if they go undefeated. They will face only three teams ranked in the top 25 and only one in the top 10 this season.

Though I can't blame South Florida for the weakness of their conference and schedule, I also don't see how anyone would think they are legitimately the second best team in the nation. Let them earn it in head-to-head competition against the best teams in the country.

I can't think of another college team sport where they don't have some kind of tournament to determine the National Champion. If the current system for Div-IA college football works so well, why aren't the other sports doing the same?

10. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

They have a playoff for Div II College Football. Why does it work there, but so many people in charge think it can't work for Div I?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar