Another year, another BCS gripe

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TitanJeff, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

The beauty is in the ugliness. You're absolutely right, there's no other sport that operates that way and sometimes it doesn't end fair... that's what I like about it. :))

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I want a South Florida Bulls vs. Boston College Eagles National Championship. I'm guessing that would shake up things enough to get a four-team playoff system in place by '09. :)

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I understand where you are coming from and I'm all for a playoff. However, South Florida isn't as high in the polls because of some computer glitch. They are currently ranked #3 by the coaches poll (they are number 1 in the computer poll). That means the coaches feel they deserve to be up there. Heck, the coaches have Boston College #2. The Harris poll is made up of former players, coaches and administrators and that poll has Boston College #2 and South Florida #3. My point is even as ridiculous as deciding a championship with polls might be it isn't like there is zero validity right now for teams like Boston College and South Florida.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree 100%

5. Broken Record

Haha! It might very well!

With the huge number of teams in D1 football, I don't think there's really any "fair" way to determine a champion. If we let 8 teams in the door, then we can just argue about who lost out at #9. Even with the massive field of 64 in basketball we still have everyone and their brother saying they got screwed by not getting in.

I don't think that trade off is worth reducing the importance of so many games.

An OSU fan I know from another forum echoed this last year...

"My opinion is that a playoff will hurt the game overall more than it would ever help it. As it stands now, in order to even be in the discussion you have to win at least 11 games. Add a playoff and undefeated OSU knows that even with a loss to Michigan they're still going to the playoffs. Sorry but as an OSU fan I can't advocate making that game less meanigful."

So anyway, I feel like I've made my point. A playoff is coming one way or the other, I'll just be one of the few that will be disappointed when it happens.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Teams Like South Florida don't just jump up there, they actually have a hard road to get there. Harder than any other team. They earned it. BC will also earn it. They had a tough schedule lined up including perennial top 10 teams like Notre Dame, Miami, and Virginia Tech. I think both of these teams belong there myself. I am not a huge college football fan, because my team usually is burnt early, but these teams seem deserving in my opinion.

I am in still in favor of a 64 team playoff, and believe it is not only possible, but probable. It can be done very nicely, would be a huge success, little contraversy, and much money to be made.

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

There is no way they will ever have 64 team playoff. That would be over half the teams in division one. Not only would the season run from the first of september until at least the middle of January, if not February, but it would basically make the regular season meaningless.

8. TitanJeff

But this isn't the case.

If you go back and look at the playoff system I am for, you don't take teams based solely on record. They must win their conference. So how does that lessen the importance of the OSU vs. Michigan game? Only the conference winner is guaranteed a spot.

If OSU loses only that one game, they have a shot at an at large bid but nothing would be guaranteed and they would have to travel to a higher-seeded team if they got in.

9. TitanJeff

How so? You saying South Florida has a tougher schedule than most teams in the SEC?

:spit:

Notre Dame? Miami? Neither of these teams are sniffing the top 25.

10. Broken Record

Traveling to a higher seed (which would be likely considering they were undefeated and ranked #1 going into the game) is a lot different than losing your chance to play in the championship game.

So in the playoff scenario they likely get that at large bid and have a tougher road and in the non playoff scenario they are likely done for.

You won't change my mind. :ha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar