Another year, another BCS gripe

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TitanJeff, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Probably the same issues which faces college basketball when a team or two who feels deserving doesn't get in.

But that is quite a bit less controversy than if they scrapped March Madness and just let the top two teams in the polls play for the championship. ;)

2. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Maybe they should have playoffs + play a best of 7 series like baseball.

That would've been nice in the 2000/01 NFL season. I bet the Titans could've taken the Ravens in 5.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't know, I see a big difference between the argument for 66th vs. 65th team in college basketball than the 8th and 9th or 16th and 17th in college football.

If Tennessee <or insert your favorite team> had 2 or 3 losses and was in one of the above positions I'd be pretty mad if they didn't get a shot at the title vs. any other team in NCAA.

Anything above a 16 game playoff would be too much, IMO.

And even though the BCS is far from perfect, at least it provides a national championship game and championship "series". Better than just the bowls the way they were before.

One of the pro's about the BCS, is every game matters. You have to go undefeated to win the national championship. And even then you could get screwed.

It is crazy though, I mean South Florida number 2? They beat Auburn, yeah... but now Rutgers, West Virginia, UConn, Auburn = Top schedule in the NCAA. No. I was just in Tampa and my friends down there are Gators. They were both real tired of hearing the USF is the best team in Florida stuff. It's all over the sports radio there of course. Funny thing is, they probably have a good chance of running the table.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You'll always have some controversy. No way to avoid it.

I think the idea is to find the BEST way to insure the two teams who play in the National Championship deserve to be there. Record and schedule clearly shouldn't be the only determining factors.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Simple. I never talked about schedule. They did however have the hardest road to #2. They weren't in any top 25 poll to start the season. That alone makes it an almost improbable feat. How many times have you seen a small school go undefeated and still not make the top 10. South Florida has not only beat the system that is stacked against them, they won it over. They clearly deserve to go. They had to prove they were #2. It wasn't handed to them. I've seen the reverse too many times to believe it was handed to them, and most of those small schools before them were on the outside of the BCS looking in; even when they were undefeated.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

But they were sniffing the top 25. And therein lies the difference. Miami was 31 and Notre Dame was 39 coming into the season. If those are the worst teams on your schedule, it makes one heck of a statement. And let's just be honest, if you don't think NotreDame and Miami are going to be top 10 with those same players in four years you may be delusional. They field good teams every year. And that is a truth that is not easily escaped when you look over what they've done.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

They said the same thing about the ncaa tournament. And you saw what happened. The regular season is not meaningless for basketball, and the tournament is the best thing going. It can be done. I mean how long is in conference play in football anyway. Most teams play 7 weeks in the conference anyway. Add a six week tournament and there you go. 13 games. 7 meaningful games in conference. 6 playoff games. No worries. I'm just saying, if they open their minds, it will solve all their problems, and make everyone lots of money. And every game would mean something. And the fluff games would be eliminated.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

screw the BCS.. the only team worth considering for a number one spot is App. State (both Division I and Division II)

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

In basketball you can play 2 rounds a weekend, in football you cant. Not to mention division 1 basketball has around 300 teams, where as Div 1A football has around 120, give or take. Why in the world should half the country get an invite to a playoff?

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

South Florida is a big east school, I dont think you can categorize a school from a BCS conference as a "small school".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar