Another year, another BCS gripe

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TitanJeff, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

One way to avoid some controversy would be only allowing conference champions to make the playoffs. Sure, not always the best teams win the championship game, but a team SHOULD HAVE TO WIN THEIR CONFERENCE to make the playoffs.

That's why I think the first step towards a successful playoffs would be for every conference to have a championship game.

Ideally, I'd like a scenario like.. remove the sunbelt, merge available teams into the 10 other conferences. Have a 10 team playoff, only conference champions, award bye weeks and homefield based on polls. This way out of conference games would still have an important impact on the season.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That's pretty much the plan in the article I posted originally. I think he has 12 conference champs and four at-large bids. Lower eight teams play at the home of the higher eight. The next round goes to the minor bowls. The next to the major ones with the final rotated as the BCS Championship is now.

3. Alex1939

Logistically I think that plan is a little much.

Why not drop the at-large bids (kill controversy)... have homefield throughout the playoffs (extra revenue to the home school, extra incentive in every game) until the championship- then you can have that rotate before the four major bowls or whatever.

Still have the bowl system, 25 bowl games for the top teams that don't win the conference. With a few upsets in the conference championship games, the top few bowls (Rose, Orange, etc) would have some real top tier, $$$ making, matchups.

Then when the final polls come out, guarantee the national championship to the playoff champion, but number 2 overall might actually be a bowl winner over a playoff team. (depending on how playoffs turn out)

Please, NCAA hire me :grrhee:

I'm sure not everyone would like this idea either though, but it's the most fair in my mind.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Interesting.

I think you'd get opposition from the bowls who are used to having the winner of these conferences. I don't know if the Rose Bowl, for example, would take the runner up in the Pac 10. It's too much revenue to ignore which is a main reason we don't have the playoffs now.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

So much for South Florida. whoop, there they go.

I think it is a step backwards, but I have a fond memory of the bid system because you never knew who was gonna end up playing who. Right now it seems a little too contrived to be fun and interesting. For example, I dislike the idea that no matter what the Conference USA winner ends up playing like the #6 SEC team. I find that a little dissappointing myself being a conference usa supporter. I think the BCS is a step forward, but at the same time, I'd like a little more mix. It's the unknown commodity that makes playoffs fun. Who is gonna match up with who, but right now the bowl system is very boring outside the BCS.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

An ideal playoff IMO would be to take the conference winners in each BCS conference and 2 at large bids.

Atlantic Coast Conference
    Big 12 Conference
    Big East Conference
    Big Ten Conference
    Pacific Ten Conference
    Southeastern Conference

That is eight teams. There are 5 major bowl games right now. 3 + 1 additional would host the first round and 2 would host the second round. The championship game would be like the SB with cities bidding for the game and the game rotating to different locations each year. Cities like Indy or Detroit would have a shot with their domed stadiums. The seating for the games could still be done through coaches polls and computers once the 8 participants were selected. With the at large births it would still be possible for two teams from the same conference to participate. 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 would be the matchups. The matchups could be reseated after round one with the highest ranked team left playing the lowest in the second round.

7. Alex1939

I would ***** everytime Tennessee had 1 loss and wasn't an at-large bid in the playoffs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar