Any chance GM....... and Jeff Fisher..???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansCountry25, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

the QB position as a whole was sadly mishandled in the offseason

the McNair situation
    the KFC situation
    the Volek situation

I still contend that if KC had been brought in prior to camp starting and been giving adequate time to absorb the offense, then we would not have started 0-5

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

:werd:

Though I also don't think we'd end up 8 - 8.

So it all worked out.

4. I don't think they planned on playing Vince as early as they ended up doing either. That said... all they needed was a guy who knew the offense who was capable of running it for a little while. Most of us felt Volek could do that. Even I was fine with him starting for a year (or at least a large part of it) and I was the guy saying Volek was a 1 trick pony...

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ok...

So we are in agreement that Reese chose who to sign, cut, extend, ect. He managed the Titans personel. So it was his call not to bring in KC when Fisher wanted him earlier. Even with Volek as the starter and VY as a rookie, didn't you think we should have had a vet backup considering Volek is rather breakable and we didn't want to have to throw Vince into the fire before he was ready? To me, it only makes sense to bring in a vet QB under that circumstance. And if Reese had brought him in earlier, things (Collins play at least) would have been different.

If Volek didn't have a melt down with the coaching staff and had started and got hurt, what would Reese have done?

I disagree that signing had nothing to do with Volek's demise. I think Volek earned himself competition when he had the meltdown with the coaching staff. Did Volek demand a trade then? No. He said all the right things. After Kerry Collins comes here, Volek goes and demands a trade (if I remember correctly). So if Collins didn't come here, Volek still would have been the starter as we weren't gonna start VY and didn't really have a viable 2nd option.

Either way, we needed a vet backup QB (even if only for a year)...which is why I think Reese should have gotten one sooner. Since a lot of us weren't convinced Volek could do the job fulltime, it might have also been wiser to bring in the vet QB at the start of training camp so he could compete with Volek for the starting role.

Is your disagreement that we should not have signed a vet QB altogether, or that you didn't want us to sign Collins and would have preferred a different vet QB?

He couldn't, but that's not why we should have gotten a vet QB sooner...as mentioned above. If Volek had started, who would have been our viable #2 QB if Volek got hurt during the season before VY was rdy? Even you said you weren't thrilled with Volek starting...so for reasons of depth AND competition to have a better starter, wouldn't it have made sense to bring in a vet QB?

Gut

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes

I completely agree on all points!

Gut

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

No one could have predicted even by pre-season if VY would have been ready to start this year.

I think we all agree that the gameplan was to have Volek start for a year and then hand the reigns over to VY (if he was ready). My point is, if Volek got hurt and VY wasn't ready...who was gonna be the QB? Considering we had the cap room to get a Kerry Collins, it makes more sense to do it (not expecting a Volek meltdown) than not do it. And since Collins has been a starting QB in this league with pluses and minuses, it wouldn't have hurt us to give Volek some healthy competition in training camp...if for no other reason than to give Volek a push and to give us a vet backup.

Gut

8. Sledge

Sledge Guest

sorry but that's horse$hit and you know it. Neither of those guys had any significant role in helping their team get that ring. Good for them, but the way you're talking, it's as if the Titans would have won a Super Bowl if they had kept these guys...

9. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

The notion that KFC might have won games if he had been brought in earlier is as speculative as the notion that Volek would have been injured to the point of being incapacitated.

I still side with the notion that bringing in KFC was a huge mistake.
    He showed nothing on the field, yet he was praised by his supporters as "bringing something" to the team.

It is all rightly in the past.

It might be a good thing in the sense that VY is the starter.

But I would be happier with someone other than KFC behind him.

10. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

Maybe we can go after Garcia :ha: It wouldn't surprise me if we used a late round pick (I'm thinking no earlier than late 6th rd) or took an undrafted FA to back him up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar