Any guitar players here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OhioTitan, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhioTitan

OhioTitan GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!

I just bought my first guitar a couple days ago and am trying to teach myself how to play it. I have the A,D and E chords sounding pretty good now. My problem right now is i cannot change between chords to save my life. I know it takes time to be able to do it with any kind of speed, but i have to completely take my fingers off and think forever where to put each one.

I was wondering if any of you experianced players had any tips or advice for a newbie, especially about changing chords.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Be patient, keep playing every day and it will happen. If you're ultimate goal is to play electric then learning the barre chord (and a few easy chops) will keep your interest at a maximum because you'll be playing songs right away..
    For what it's worth, along with A,D, and E you should add G in there right away then C.. G is the key chord for flex and movement IMO. Opens a lot of doors.
    Learn to tune and keep your ears sharp.
    What kind of guitar and what kinda music do you want to play?

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

[​IMG]

Here is the barre chord (shown in F). Most used chord in Rock - as it can be played in any key. Most players alternate between the one shown (full four-fingered barre) and a two finger version, which for beginner can be the key to keeping interest up. For a two fingered barre hold the chord the same as pictured but just fret the index and third finger -and strum only the two strings that are fretted. Add in the pinky as you get comfortable. The barre can be played anywhere on the neck so move around and learn the position of the keys as the repeat multiple times on the neck.

4. OhioTitan

I have an acoustic that i bought cheap. I'm not sure which one it is though, its older and been refinished, which covered the company name on it. It's nothing fancy but it sounds pretty good and seams like a good one to start out on. I'd actually prefer to stay on acoustic although i might end up getting an electric one later.

I listen to alot of Rock so i'd prefer to play that the most, although i want to be able to play a mix of everything. (My girlfriend is a huge Bon Jovi fan so i'll definitely want to learn some of his songs later)

5. OhioTitan

Another question, how do you do your A chords. I've seen it x02130 and also x02340. ive been doing it the first way but was wondering which way would make it easier for shifts once i learn more chords

6. I'm in the same boat as you Ohio. I can play chords A, D, C, E, G with ease but I can't make a progression.

Can't do a bar chord to save my life. Can always get 4 or 5 of the strings to hit but there's always that 1 or 2 that's muted by the gap in my finger.

7. An A chord is x02220.

I do mine with my pointer on the G, middle on the D, and ring on the B.

8. OhioTitan

My bad i should have clearified, i was meaning like each number is the six strings and the actual number was which finger i was using, obvioisly all in the second fret

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

When I first started I had trouble making that barred F chord that CC shows above. The way I learned how to do it effortlessly and flawlessly is by training the hand's muscle memory. I sat down to watch a movie with guitar in hand, forced my hand into position and held it there (painfully) while I watched the movie. After a while I would loosen tension, squeeze again, loosen, etc over and over. Later still I lifted the fingers oof the fretboard, then back down again... off, then down again, etc. By the end of the movie my muscles had learned the chord and I could play it without thinking.

Obviously, this can be applied to all of the chords which give you trouble.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar