Any piano players?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alzarius, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I've been interested for years. For my birthday, I got a pretty good keyboard.

The Internet is full of experts so I'm looking for a little advice.

Im learning by sheet music so that I do it right from the beginning.

While I work on chords, my question is about exercises to improve agility, memory, and to improve my fingering. Right now I'm practicing on Bach invention 1, C. I was considering the Hanon exercises but I've read as much bad about them as I have good.

I'm the type to sit down for long periods of time. Any experienced pianist around that wants to answer some questions?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. RTH

RTH Meh...

As with any instrument... scales. All kinds. Chord scales as well.

Best way to improve dexterity... also can help with rythm.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. RTH

RTH Meh...

Truly boring and tedious, but... so helpful.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Can you do this?

• LOL LOL x 1
  5. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

My piano is tore apart at the moment. It's a Williams Symphony digital piano with a keyboard with stuck weighted keys. I've done everything that can be done and will probably have to dump it as it just sitting here in the office collecting dust.

As RTH said, scales is one the major steps, that and understanding the basics of music theory. If you are like me, you will need a lot of time to develop hand independence. When I play the piano my left hand wants to do what my right hand is doing. It frustrates the hell out of me, yet when I pick up my bass, it's really easy to pick or pluck with one hand and fret with the other. Very confusing how it's an issue with the piano but not with a guitar.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

could it have anything to do with both hands doing the same thing on a piano?

7. RTH

RTH Meh...

Please specify... your hands play separately on the piano. Typically one treble and the other bass. One melody and one harmony.

8. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Hands on piano very rarely do the same thing.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

on a guitar one hand is upside down right?

on a piano theyre both right side up

if Aqutis30 can play guitar fine but gets mixed up on a piano that could explain why

10. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I'm more interested in classical or even movies. Interstellar has a great piano song that's on my list. Down the road lol.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar