Anyone else getting hammered...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ammotroop, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

By the dang stock market??? I have lost a considerable amount of money over the last 3 months and I have the TSP (Thrift Savings Plan). I guess technically, I havent lost it, cause I still own the same amount of shares or more, but the share value has plummeted. Hopefully today's bounce back will continue.

This may be the wrong place for this, but I was curious as to what steps are you all taking with this recession. Yes I said it.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's been brutal. But I'm young enough to earn it back plus some. My parents (and many who have parents in their late 60's/70's) are the ones who are hurting. Many of that age are relying on investments to supplement their social security checks.

My retirement investments have dropped by nearly 40% in value over the last year.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Personally, I think it's a buying opportunity.

I suppose two schools of thought on the current situation:

1) Similar to 1987. Within a year of the crash in 87, stocks had fully recovered their value.

2) Similar to 1929-1932. It took stocks 25 years to regain their value after the great depression.

I believe the $700 billion bailout, as well as coordinated rate cuts, and the ownership stake by the government in some banks here in the US and in Europe, are all steps to prevent another great depression.

I think these steps have likely helped us avoid another depression, but unemployment rates must be watched.

Look for recession proof stocks with high dividend yield is the route I'm going. If you can drink it, smoke it, eat it, or take it as medicine, it's fairly recession proof.

I took some fair amount of losses recently to give myself more cash. I went into this recent debacle about 50% invested. Moved that down to about 30% in the last few weeks. Pretty much wiped out short-term gains from earlier in the year with that move. So I still have a large amount (30%) that will take time to recover. Reinvested a small amount earlier today. I'm looking for buying opportunites at this point.

4. TitanJeff

I'm wondering how many clicked on the thread title to see if this was about getting drunk. Then, after reading the thread, maybe did.

• High Five High Five x 6
  5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Everybody's getting hammered...but today a rally!

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I've never gotten into stocks, but some people are telling me now's the time to try. Of course I've never even studied up on it, so I have some reading to do. Of course the first thing I wondered was "what is the best to invest in now?"....if it's that simple.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

my friend's boss bought a bunch of bank stock(don't ask me which one, i have no idea) for 65 cents per share and it went up to 7.10 then dropped down to 7.00 and he sold.

now is the time to buy, you just have to be careful about it.

8. TitanJeff

Research mutual funds. Decide the risk you willing to take as different funds carry different risk levels. Most funds are stronger in certain sectors like technology or healthcare so go with one in an area you feel has the stronger future. Look for a 10 year record. Check fees. Find one you can get started with for $500.

If you have more than that, I would look at a second fund in another specialty or type and so on. Diversify.

Having said all that, I'm a guy who lost about 40% of his retirement in the last year following the above advice.

:grrr:

9. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Ohhh dont get me wrong. I am in it for the long haul. I understand that with the shares dropping in value, I am buying more which in the long term will only help me. I got 38 years until I "retire" so I am sure we will hit a few more bear markets.

10. TitanJeff

If I were you, I would do four things before getting too deep into the stock market...

1. Get out of debt. If you owe anything on credit cards, you are sinking because there is no way you can out-earn the financing fees. There are many low-rate cards which you can roll the entire debt into and begin to get aggressive in paying it off. Easier said than done but it's tough to save/invest when you are stretched because of debt. Establish a budget and stick with it.

2. Make sure you have an emergency fund in place. Three months (or more) of living expenses is ideal and takes a while to build (especially if you are doing #1). For at least one month's needs, keep it in a mutual fund that earns little but is there if needed right away. The rest I invest into a couple of mutual funds. One may be more aggressive growth and the other more moderate but the idea here is to do it via automatic withdraw from your bank. I rarely miss what I don't see and this has been the smartest thing I've done to start building a fund.

3. Start a Roth IRA or some type of retirement fund if you don't have a 401K already. If your employer matches 4-5%, do the same because it's FREE money. If you have the luxury of putting that into 3-5 different funds, then diversify. Since you are military, I assume you have other options must of us don't so you may not have to do as much as those of us depending on social security. It doesn't take a lot to build a nice nest egg 38 years from now.

4. Start a college fund. From reading your posts, I think you have at least one and I started right away putting $50-$100 a month into a fund. You'll be amazed at how a little money now will add up in 10-15 years if the market averages what is has in growth the last 75 years (10%). There are many options here but we went with a UTMA which basically creates a joint account taxed at the child's rate. The child owns it at age 18. Have that money auto withdraw from your checking account each month as well.

Sorry for the length of this but I hope some of it helps. It's pretty much what you'll hear if you listen to Dave Ramsey. Other things include looking at paying higher deductibles for insurance, mortgaging your home for only 15 years, buying a used car, etc.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar