Anyone here know the M-Audio Axiom 49?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I barely have time to use the thing let along learn every detail of set-up of this damn thing.
    I need to know how to assign a full step key change (flat) to the keyboard. I accidentally factory reset it and now I need to revert back to the custom setup, which eludes me in the manual...

2. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Dunno, but is the change actually in the keyboard and not in the sample software of the DAW? It was tough for me to find that control in Mainstage, but i eventually did... it had nothing to do with the keyboard itself. Other than that, good luck :)

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I had wondered if it might be a change in the software - but it seemed the problem happened with the accidental reset of the keyboard.
    I use Sampletank. With what you've said I should probably look into that..

Do you play alot of keys?

4. avvie

No, not a lot... I don't like the toy feel of most affordable keyboards.... I'd like the piano feel of the Casio Privia series that I used to own, and I hope to meet one again.

What I DO like are a few vintage sounds...in particular that woody Moog sound in ELP's "Lucky Man" ( but without all the annoying reverb) and the '73ish ARP Solina Strings Ensemble pushed through a phaser ("Dream Weaver", "Kiss You All Over", the break in "Come Sail Away"). The phaser also gives a great sheen to a Wurlitzer piano, which became Donald Fagan's signature sound from "Deacon Blues" onward.

I use the phased string ensemble in my recordings, and a little bit of Fender Rhodes (no chorusing; that's so000 Dennis DeYoung and Denise Williams). Outside of that I use keys to trigger horn parts.

My keyboard, btw, is a 61-key Yamaha thing... no frills, five sounds with MIDI in/out...$30 at the Salvation Army thrift store :) Runs my DAW with no problem.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Sampletank's basic library includes all sorts of vintage keys, pianos, brass, woods, symphonies, drum and wild gadgetry that would make Gary Numan happy..
    I use the bassoon all the time!
    I'm sure the Maudio is toy-like. Don't have enough key experience to have a feel for it..
    BTW I did figure out the problem and was indeed on the keyboard itself.. Weird.

6. avvie

The libraries available today are insanely huge...not just in Sampletank, but in all the pro-level DAWs (I'm assuming that if Logic has it, everyone else does too...except REAPER). I bought Garriton personal Orchestra years ago; now it's standard issue to have orchestra samples and drumkits out the wazoo. It's gone from "I wish I had...." to "I can't find it for all these samples!!!"

As for the boards themselves, I'm referring to the difference between spring-lever keys (what you have) and weighted keys (such as a piano has). I'm a fan of the Casio Privias because they're fairly cheap (starting at $500, used for about $350), they're MIDI=equipped and they have weighted, full-size keys. They feel just like my dad's Baldwin upright piano that I grew up with. Without the weighted keys, my fingers accidentally sound the notes next to the target notes and I have to spend a lot of time mopping up the excess in the MIDI editor.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Was gonna do that Manning thing but wound up finishing this instead. First time doing something entirely on keys. Kind of a Gary Numan-esque synth ditty..
    The Horror..

http://www.jeanoroid.com/horror.mp3

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. avvie

Whoa, you're a regular john carpenter over there!

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

haha good answer..
    It was fun to do - being one of the first times even attempting two-handed keys..

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I really dig it!

For some reason Killer Klowns From Outer Space popped into my when the main groove started. :ha:

IDK why. It just seems like it would be a perfect fit in that type of movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar